New to professional photography

:er:

Wow I don't have words. How did my thread get to this point?

:er:

Wow I don't have words. How did my thread get to this point?

Welcome to the forum!

In all seriousness, if people would go back and read the original post (disregard original title), you would see the OP's real intention of learning more general information about cameras and photography.

Wes: If you decide to stick around (after this kind of welcome, I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were you), you will find that lots of people on here are actually willing to help out and offer advice.

Thank you, Seekwence. I appreciate the welcome and don't worry I've got pretty thick skin.

To my PMer, hope you see this. Apparently I have to have 3 posts in order to reply to you, however I don't seem to have any posts despite all of these... weird.

so ... as now my feeling are hurt and i wont be coming back here, and im sure none off you care. Let me explain my "non" existent puncuation. Aside from a few faimly members i was disowned from my family at a very young and then worked at very young age not that so i actually have non education to speak off. On top of that I had a head a injury so retaing thing like when i should put a period is difficult. I dont know why i am even telling you all this it really doesn't matter im sure. Thanks for being such a nice and welcoming forum. I hope i used my periods right.

zOMG! :tears:

:smileys:

Ok, sorry, I'll try to help you here: Periods are super easy, when you finish a thought, throw in a period. Not after an entire story, after part of the story.

Like this... I went outside. Period. The sun was out. Period. A car drove by and hit a puddle and splashed mud on my new green shoes. Period. After a brief period of crying and feeling sorry for myself I pulled out my .45 and shot out his back window. Period.

See? Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Last edited:
Wow. Seriously, punctuation is good. I couldn't even finish reading the first few lines because it didn't make any sense. If you know how to spell and form basic complete thoughts with words, then punctuation should be easy. I don't know how working at a young age has any bearing on it.

Welcome Wes. You're getting some good advice here, I think. There's no reason to get a lesser camera if you can afford more, unless you want to invest in better glass. Remember, that camera equipment, particularly lenses, don't lose their value quickly like most electronic things these days. If you buy used, there's a chance you could still make money off of it in a year if you choose to sell (upgrade).

Why does everyone insist that people start with a low end body? I don't get it... It's not any more difficult to use a prosumer or pro body than it is to use an entry level one and you get so much more to grow with.

Who cares if they are new, heck - if you've never owned a DSLR and can afford to get a D3 series, more power to you. If not, look at the D7000 for around $1500 on the kit. (I'm a Nikon guy, so that's what I know.)

There are way too many people who get a low end body because everyone tells that that's what they need to start with only for them to sell it 3, 6, 9 months later for something better. What's the difference if they lose $100-$200 on the sale of a low end one vs a middle or high end one. I actually think more people would be less likely to sell if they could afford to start out prosumer.

If the question is asked, D40 or D7000 people will almost certainly say the D7000. However is someone says I'm new, what camera should I get? 9 times out of 10 people go down the entry level road, I don't get it.

+1!!!!

When i first started, some douchebags told me to buy an entry level body because it was soooo complicated. I ended up with a D60. I sold it 4 months after because the camera didnt had the feature i needed to do 80% of what i wanted to do or work on. Get the best body you can afford because if that body really suits your need, your going to keep it for a long time then you will be able to invest in good glass instaid of changing body every year.

Last edited:
so ... as now my feeling are hurt and i wont be coming back here, and im sure none off you care. Let me explain my "non" existent puncuation. Aside from a few faimly members i was disowned from my family at a very young and then worked at very young age not that so i actually have non education to speak off. On top of that I had a head a injury so retaing thing like when i should put a period is difficult. I dont know why i am even telling you all this it really doesn't matter im sure. Thanks for being such a nice and welcoming forum. I hope i used my periods right.

zOMG! :tears:

:smileys:

Ok, sorry, I'll try to help you here: Periods are super easy, when you finish a thought, throw in a period. Not after an entire story, after part of the story.

Like this... I went outside. Period. The sun was out. Period. A car drove by and hit a puddle and splashed mud on my new green shoes. Period. After a brief period of crying and feeling sorry for myself I pulled out my .45 and shot out his back window. Period.

See? Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Just kinda laughed a bit when the person giving the lessons uses LoL and zomg.

(sorry couldn't resist)

Jewelry take it with a grain of salt. im not great at punctuation either though im working on getting better at it.

to the original poster.

great of you to stick around after dealing with the nonsence at the beginning of the post. your title was a bit misleading but on reading your post your no diffrent then i was awhile back. your definatly better off taking the time to really find out what you want and need and buying what's right for you. i picked up a D3000 a year ago and it has been a great camera to learn on, but on the flipside of what a few others have said. if its really an intrest you have and your putting all this time into just learning what camera will be right for you then you might save some cash in the long run to go for a mid level camera. something you won't outgrow and can build upon. just keep doing what your doing and learn as much as you can before you make your purchase. after learning what i know now if i could do it over again i'd proalby get a bit more money. buy a higher line camera body only and bought a decent piece of glass to go with it from the get go.

I'll search around for the "most bang for my buck"

what i did, and what i recommend you do... go to Best Buy(or any other store) and play with their cameras. pick up the camera and decide which one feels best in your hands. scroll through the menu and decide which one is simplest.

once you decide on a brand, back to the "bang for buck", search Craigs List. there are tons of people selling really good equipment! especially this time of year.

Just kinda laughed a bit when the person giving the lessons uses LoL and zomg.
Yeah, I kind of laugh when people can't tell the difference between not understanding one long run-on sentence and being able to understand what LOLing is.

It's the simple things that confuse some folks I guess. :lol::lol:

For the buy the most camera you can the first time crowd: Point understood and I don't disagree. But if he spent a couple hundred on a low end body, he'd be able to learn to use it, then decide (or not) to move up to a body with more of what he's going to want. With the DSLR's holding value the way they do, he could buy a low end one, learn on it, sell it and buy what he really wants. (Which he probably won't know until he's gone through a few thousand shutter releases.

Last edited:
I think it just comes down to the individual. if you have been studying up and going out with a point and shoot and know that your into this hobby for awhile. then step up to that mid level camera if you can and maybe you can go longer before you'd ever need to upgrade. If your just getting into this and not sure if it will work out or wether you will really take to it then play it a bit more safe. go with an entry level camera and go that route. chances are you will be happy either way.

Well up until this thread I was eyeballing Nikon, specifically the D5000 (However I just read a thread in the newbie section that suggested saving a little more and getting the D90). In light of this thread, however I realize that there is probably a lot I need to figure out for myself before I really seriously consider any camera in particular. And no, I wasn't aware that the glass had any real bearing at all.

My budget will be around $800 when I get my Christmas and certification bonuses in, but if you're suggesting I start a little more simply, I'm all ears I'd love to hear your suggestion and reasoning for any other particular model.

As far as training goes, I actually hadn't even considered it. I'm not sure if I would be able to work in regular classes as I work a crazy rotating shift schedule. It's hard for me to consider any sort of schooling. I think I'd like to give "learning-by-doing" a chance.

And as far as a specialization I love nature. Most of my photos will probably be of places I visit and scenes that I find interesting.
Wow! This thread sure got off topic in several directions.

I'll address what you asked instead.

First think about being a Pro AFTER you've been in it awhile. No one becomes a photographer Pro without some prior experience, usually years.

Second, your comment "...And no, I wasn't aware that the glass had any real bearing at all." tells me you NEED to take some classes or do some serious research and reading on Photography.

Third, I think a Nikon D5000 or D3100 would be a good choice for you to start. I have a D5000 so I know that is a great camera for a beginner and a seasoned user. A lot of my pictures you see in my sig are taken with that camera... (but not with a kit lens though.) After you've had a year or two to learn the ropes, then you can upgrade where needed.

Fourth, to be a good professional photographer, you need to have passion and a eye for it. You have to have an eye for composition & lighting and if you don't, no camera in the world will help you.

I think it just comes down to the individual. if you have been studying up and going out with a point and shoot and know that your into this hobby for awhile. then step up to that mid level camera if you can and maybe you can go longer before you'd ever need to upgrade. If your just getting into this and not sure if it will work out or wether you will really take to it then play it a bit more safe. go with an entry level camera and go that route. chances are you will be happy either way.

Did you read the OP? :er:

Hey guys, Names Josh and Im new here too. Hopefully I can figure out how to use this forum!

Hello, My name is Ben and I'm an "avid recreational photographer" from Austin, TX. I believe we can all agree that we are all learning in photography and some get paid more and some get paid less. Your level of professionalism comes in how you handle yourself. So let's lift each other up and inspire great photos!!

This is possibly the longest welcome thread i have ever seen.... but welcome btw :p

Most reactions

Back