New to sports

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, new to sports photography but not photography in general. I mostly shoot wildlife or the occasional portrait if I'm asked. What would you guys shoot your basic little league baseball action photo's with? And where would you ideally stand? Home-first base line, out beyond the outfield shooting towards the bases? I'd like to snap a few good photos but i'm having a hard time picturing the photo scene before hand.

First base line, or third base line.70-200 or 70-300 zoom lens are my faves for the infield shots.

Hey guys, new to sports photography but not photography in general. I mostly shoot wildlife or the occasional portrait if I'm asked. What would you guys shoot your basic little league baseball action photo's with? And where would you ideally stand? Home-first base line, out beyond the outfield shooting towards the bases? I'd like to snap a few good photos but i'm having a hard time picturing the photo scene before hand.

do you access inside the field?
1st or 3rd base line would also be my choice with a 70-200
26466928073_f0686e2dfc_c.jpg

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Reactions: alv
I have a 150-600 or 55-250 on a crop body. I can get inside the outfield, they're 7-8 year old's so they aren't smashing them too far

What Derrel said.

Most of the photos I take of my grandchildren are when they are batting or running the bases. They are right handed, so I like to stand down the first-base line. If/when they reach first base, I like to be on the third-base line so they don't have their backs to me when running to second base, and are running toward me if they get past second. That can also be a pretty good angle for plays at second base - make sure the third baseman doesn't get in the way, though.

When they are in the field, I like to have them facing me and/or moving toward me.

I would use the 150-600 (on a monopod) and get down either line (1st base or 3rd base). Sometimes the fence will be lower further down and with a 600mm on a crop sensor, you will be able to shoot from there and fill the frame.

If the fence doesn't go down, then press the lense as close to the fence as possible and use single focus points to shoot. This will make the fence in essence disappear.

Good luck shooting.

Don't limit yourself to one spot, shoot from both baselines and try some from behind the plate. One of my favorite places is between the left fielder and third base. I can cover a good portion of the field with my 120-300 on a full frame. I may not get the tightest shots but I can get a wide variety of shots.

This one had some nasty spin on it and almost got me lol

These were from a quick inning I went down to see at lunch last week.

I'm happy with the shots I took today, which is rare. Having just had acl reconstruction a few months ago I can't walk far nor stand long and since the field had a 5 foot fence around all sides I shot home/ first line. I was "in" the outfield so I shot a bunch out there as well. The 150-600 worked out perfectly. I shot f5.6-6.3 mostly at 1/800-1/1000. Happy with the results. I would share but their mom doesn't wasn't their faces plastered across the internet, which is understandable in this day and age (not saying anybody in this forum would be an issue). I'd like to pick up the 70-200 g2 next and maybe sell my canon 55-250 STM, do you ask think it's worth it?

I have heard some reports that the tamron 70-200 G2 zoom focuses *******exceptionally well****** on Nikons....including with a TC unit attached....one test I saw of a drone flying through ther air showed the G2 outperforming Nikon's 70-200 VR Mark II lens....

If this is indeed the case, that would make the G2 lens a dynamite focuser. The Angry Photographer (check himn out on YouTube) is an old-lione Nikon type guy: he calls the 70-0200 G2 the BEST VALUE of any lens currently for Nikon bodies. And he;'s a value-cosncious guy who often recommends older Nikkor lenses if they offer performance/value.

I watch the angry photographer, he's a very straight up personality on youtube. I am really considering the 70-200 but the price is what kills me!

I would use the 150-600 (on a monopod) and get down either line (1st base or 3rd base). Sometimes the fence will be lower further down and with a 600mm on a crop sensor, you will be able to shoot from there and fill the frame.

If the fence doesn't go down, then press the lense as close to the fence as possible and use single focus points to shoot. This will make the fence in essence disappear.

Good luck shooting.
The fence around our main stadium goes all the way around. And they have this mesh stuff around the outfield and sides.
So I just shoot from my back porch beyond the outfield. :)
D500, tamron 150-600 @ 600
BaseballHit.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back