New to studio lighting - got some questions...

canonDIGI

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very new to studio lighting. My question is which camera settings are best to use or studio portraits? Settings like what ISO, what shutter speed, appeture, exposure, etc. Im using a Canon 40D. And a have one sot box, and one umbrella. Please help.

Last edited:
The answer.... what ever settings it takes to get the shot. There is NO one fixed simple answer... sorry.

Start off with a nice long read over at www.strobist.com and in particular, read, learn and practice all things in the Lighting 101 and 102 links.

Good luck!

I am very new to studio lighting. My question is which camera settings are best to use or studio portraits? Settings like what ISO, what shutter speed, appeture, wxposure, etc. Im using a Canon 40D. And a have one sot box, and one umbrella. Please help.
As Jerry said, Strobist is a great way to learn about this sort of stuff.

You'll probably want to use your lowest ISO (100 is pretty standard). For shutter speed you'll want to stay at or above your sync speed, which I believe is 1/250th on the 40D. For studio type shots, where you probably won't be making much use of the ambient, somewhere between 1/125 and 1/250 will be a good starting point. Aperture is going to be the thing you adjust the most, and will depend on your lights.

Learn the basics, shoot in manual, and experiment :)

You'll probably want to use your lowest ISO (100 is pretty standard). For shutter speed you'll want to stay at or above your sync speed, which I believe is 1/250th on the 40D. For studio type shots, where you probably won't be making much use of the ambient, somewhere between 1/125 and 1/250 will be a good starting point. Aperture is going to be the thing you adjust the most, and will depend on your lights.

Thank you. That hepls a lot. Anything else anybody wants to add? Anything i appreciated.

As Jerry said, Strobist is a great way to learn about this sort of stuff.

For shutter speed you'll want to stay at or above your sync speed,...

Ack... typo... lol At or below your sync speed. You knew this, as you mentioned lower shutter speeds, just don't want to confuse the OP.

To the OP... get reading the strobist site... 150% of what you want is already there... no need for us to repeat it here. ;)

You haven't said what type of lights you are using (flash vs continuous). If using flash, you should be in manual mode for sure. With continuous lights, you could be in any mode really.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back