New to the site. Need some advice. Long zoom vs. SLR.

macersl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I want to get the highest quality camera I can get that is capable of shooting video. I have been taking stills with my camcorder for way too long. From the research I have done, I can't find any digital SLRs that have a video mode. The closest I can see is the Canon S3IS or equivalent.

Does anyone know of a digital SLR that shoots small video clips like the S3IS?

I've been using my company's Nikon D50 for a while now. I have been so impressed with the pictures it takes and was wondering if I can expect the same quality out of a S3IS. How good are the long zoom cameras in comparison to SLRs?[/FONT]

To my Knowlage it would be impossible for a DSLR to shoot video.
Sorry, but that is the way it is.
The internal workings of an SLR camera prevent this.

Welcome to the forum.

DSLR cameras use an actual shutter, that cover the sensor (like film cameras)...so that's why they can't record video.

One of the biggest reasons why DSLR cameras like the D50 have such good image quality, is the size of the sensor. 99.9% of non-SLR digital cameras have a very small sensor in comparison.

The S3IS should take pretty good images in optimal lighting conditions...but because it has a small sensor...it will perform poorly as the light levels drop...which is typical of just about all 'digi-cams'.

From what I can tell, the S3IS should be one of the better digi-cams though. Canon makes some darn good cameras and lenses...and having IS is a nice feature.

If you want both still and video...you have to make compromises....only you can decide what will be the best for your needs.

if you already have a camcorder, why not just get a DSLR and then you get the best of both worlds, since compact camera's dont records video as well as a decent camcorders, and no compact will take pictures that compare to an SLR.

sure you have to carry both, but you really get to have the best quality all around. But if you are looking for convenience than your S3IS sounds like a good choice.

S3 IS sucks as a camcorder. It just does.

If you want video - there's lots of semi decent consumer cameras for 600 bucks or so that will do a good job. It's all about light, acting and storyline anyways.

Unless you want to do stop motion animation. The get a DSLR for sure - then the world is your playground.

haha you know when i first started looking at dslrs, I also was thinking "oh what?! they cant shoot video, how lame.." haha, so yeah, you're not alone - but then again I'm pretty new to all this :)

Most reactions

Back