New to this hobby

Silverado333

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello to all!

I'm a young man nearing my mid 60's - still working. I've had numerous basic cameras throughout my lifetime - I can take a photo, and sometimes they're pretty good, if I do say so myself!

My current camera, is a Nikon D-40. I have two lenses for it, one 18-55mm which came with the package, and an add on AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 G ED. Which I purchased as a replacement for the 18-55, but also give me a bit of a zoom. In other words, my everyday use lens.

Yesterday I purchased a new Canon 90D. I purchased only the camera base (no lenses), as I thought my current lenses would work on the new Canon.

My question is, will the lenses I currently have work with (fit) on my new Canon 90D? If not, is there an adapter that I can purchase to allow them to fit the Canon?

I'm really a novice at photography - perhaps my question is a give away? But with retirement looming the not too distant future - I would like to educate myself a little further in this hobby!

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Silverado

Welcome! We're glad you're here.

The quick answer is; yes, there are adapters for that purpose.

nikon to canon lens adapter | B&H Photo Video

The longer version of my answer is; you probably should have posted this question earlier.

I use a Nikon camera, on which I can mount many Nikon lenses, even some that are 50 years old or older.

To be frank, the Nikon lenses you have are generally considered "entry level" lenses, and are usually included with entry level camera bodies.

Canon also makes more than one "grade" of lens, which generally shows up in the image quality.

I have two possibilities for you: Take the Canon back and get a Nikon camera.

or

Purchase some Canon lenses for your Canon camera.

Greetings.

As stated, yes you can adapt them to the Canon, with caveats.

Certain functions will not work and go totally manual. The manner to whit the lenses mount are completely different. Canon mounts lenses clockwise, Nikon counter clockwise. There is a much wider selection of Nikon lenses over Canon for the bodies, but there is no shortage of good lenses for the Canon system.

Just avoid Sigma in many cases, especially older Sigma lenses. They didn't pay Canon licensing fees and Canon re-programed cameras to operate in a manner inconsistent with Sigma's system.

Have fun and play a bit. You might be surprised what you can get away with.

Too bad you didn't ask before buying the new camera...

Hi welcome, I see others have answered your question. Adding to their advice
Canon EF and EFS lenses will fit your camera. There are other canon lenses If you are thinking about getting more kit ask people here what they think I would not like to imagan the number of years experience there is here.

Too bad I didn't ask what?

My question is, will the lenses I currently have work with (fit) on my new Canon 90D? If not, is there an adapter that I can purchase to allow them to fit the Canon?

I don't think many here would have advocated mixing platforms and would have suggested staying with Nikon or going all Canon.

Welcome to TPF!

The "ask what"? In hind sight it would have been easier for you to have asked if the two systems Nikon and Canon would work.
Now seeing that we're here. I would suggest as has been stated above one of two options.

Option 1:
Return the 90D and purchase a comparable Nikon body. This should allow you to use your current lenses.

Option 2:
Purchase a new lens for the 90D and recoup some of the costs by selling the Nikon gear.

If I were in this situation I would go with the cheaper option 1 and get a Nikon body, use it with my current lenses until I had more experience in order to decide what my next upgrade may be.

The third option I didn't mention is a lens adapter. I consider this a really bad option as you will not likely have full functionality with your lenses. I also consider that adapters are just one more thing to go wrong when you're just about to get the best shot of your life....you know that whole if it can go wrong thing.

Keep us updated.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! I did get the Canon 90d. I had my Nikon for about 5 years and was always happy with the quality of the photographs, but was never really happy with the camera itself. I wanted one that had a flip out digital display/viewfinder, and a few more bells and whistles - in other words I guess I outgrew my Nikon.

After doing some research I locked in on the new Canon 90d. It wasn't until after I made that purchase, but before I actually had the camera in hand - that I learned the two existing lenses I had would not work with the Canon. I'll chalk that up to my lack of knowledge, or not enough research on my part. With that said I now have the camera in hand and I purchased a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM. LOL - Not sure if it was wise that this was my first lens - but I couldn't pass up the deal! I've also purchased some accessories - a Rode Video Mic Pro +, a Sirui P-424sr Monopod (I already had a pretty nice tripod for the old camera), and a LowePro BP450BP BackPack, to name a few.

So my next question.... I need some recommendation for a wide angle lens - something I can use as my first go to, general use lens. The 70-200 is great and with the little I've used it - I expect to get a lot of use out of it, but don't see it as my every day, general use lens. I'm looking for a lens for portraits, nature close ups, something that I can focus on the subject and get a blurry background - I hope that helps. As for cost - I don't want junk, but as mentioned I'm not a pro either, so in the $1k range I guess? Suggestions please?

Thanks in advance!!
Steve

I have Nikon gear and their version of the 70-200mm f/2.8 is a great lens, in fact its my best.

Some will advocate a prime lens, one that does not zoom and is only a fixed focal length like a 50mm f/1.8.

I'm a fan of being able to zoom a little, I prefer the flexibility to respond quickly to changing conditions.

Since I don't know much about the Canon line-up, I'll pass on specifics. But since you mentioned blurry backgrounds, you achieve that with lenses with bigger apertures - lower f numbers. Generally speaking, the more the aperture is open, the less the background will be in focus.

Most reactions

Back