New to TPF

Actually, everyone are doing photography. The vast, vast majority owns, or has owned, a camera. Now it's your task to rise above the vast majority, and take pictures that you can be proud of.

If you already understand exposure, then read and practice composition. Giving your compositions artistic weight, and knowing how elements come together to emphasize emotions in the viewer, that's hard. I'm fairly new to this myself, and can underline just how hard it is. You may be more inclined to learn this than I am. Either way, post pics for critique, and take in every opinion. The rules you'll read about aren't final in any way, but they often make for more interesting compositions, that make it easier for the viewer to open his/hers imagination and find the story behind the shot. Make each shot count, try to have a story/message with them. That may just be "a beautiful sunset", or it may be a street shot of some people where the point is the "unknown story: the situation that lead to the photo, the photo itself and what will follow".

funke0719 said:
I have a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lenses. I actually already know how to use the manual mode along with the aperture and shutter priority. One of my pet peeves with people who use DSLR's is when they spend the money on that kind of camera but then only shoot in automatic. Oh that drives me nuts! LOL

I can't really explain what I like taking pictures of. I like taking pictures of things that aren't going to make me money in photography. I wanted to get into photojournalism but I've given up on that. I never wanted to be a portrait photographer but am starting to want to learn more. I have a big issue with depth of field. I understand depth of field but have a hard time achieving it in portraits. I also struggle with lighting, I can take decent pictures when it's nice out and can use the natural light, but inside trying to use indoor lighting, well it never turns out for me.

Both of those lenses will do ya fine. Indoors you will have a tough time,If the light is challenging, since those are variable aperture lenses. The 55-200 is exceptionally sharp.
Here is a link to help you with DOF. It also has a DOF calculator that you can use.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Remember, there's tons of good help here but no one is perfect. You learn something new everyday. Just keep at it. Keep positive as was mentioned.

Most reactions

Back