What's new

How to resize for Instagram

otherprof93 34

TPF Supporters
Joined
Nov 19, 2011
Messages
5,833
Reaction score
7,597
Location
Long Island, New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend wants to sell some fountain pens on Instagram, and I took some photos with my iPhone 15 pro and we are happy with them. The problem is they are about 1.3 MB, and she tells me Instagram wants no more than 2K, or 1080 x 1080. I don't see a way to reduce the file size that much and still have a usable image. Is there a simple solution. We are only dealing with 9 photos.
Thanks in advance!
 
99.99% of editing apps can resize an image.
You don't resize it and save it. You resize it and save it under a different filename. This preserves your original image.
 
There is a setting in Instagram that lets you share an image without having to change the image dimensions or size. I'm not sure where the setting is set, but I upload images all the time without resizing or changing the dimensions of the image, but that is on the iPhone and Android may be different. For example, I shared my Cayman Rooster image, which is 4396x3371 and it uploaded into Instagram without chopping it into a square image.
 
Last edited:
There is a setting in Instagram that lets you share an image without having to change the image dimensions or size. I'm not sure where the setting is set, but I upload images all the time without resizing or changing the dimensions of the image, but that is on the iPhone and Android may be different. For example, I shared my Cayman Rooster image, which is 4396x3371 and it uploaded into Instagram without chopping it into a square image.
Thanks Jeff! I’ll pass this on to my friend and she should be able to find it.
 
A friend wants to sell some fountain pens on Instagram, and I took some photos with my iPhone 15 pro and we are happy with them. The problem is they are about 1.3 MB, and she tells me Instagram wants no more than 2K, or 1080 x 1080. Some users manage image uploads more flexibly through modified versions like Instagram GB, but for a simple solution I don't see a way to reduce the file size that much and still have a usable image. We are only dealing with 9 photos.
Instagram resizes automatically on upload so just post them as they are.Instagram resizes automatically on upload so just post them as they are. If you want to resize manually beforehand, a free app like Lightroom Mobile or Image Size on iPhone will do all 9 quickly.
 
As well as resizing it may be necessary to change the JPEG quality setting. Images will be over 2K if simply sized to 1000x1000 pixels but saved with JPEG at 100%. You probably wont see the difference changing the JPEG setting to 90% or even 80% and this makes a huge difference to file size.
A quick play with a random 1MB image shows 791KB at my normal 99% quality, dropping to 316KB at 89% & 235KB at 79%
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom