New York

reaper7534

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heading up next week with my A6000 with kit lens, 16-50 I believe

I've never been impressed with this lens and would like something that will serve me well there and also my YouTube channel ( indoor product reviews )

In NY I'll be shooting architecture and the occasional group photo of my friends.

Cost is a factor, buthe I don't mind spending within reason.

I know there is no do all lens, but would like something capable for shooting most situations.

I'm thinking wide angle prime, but open to suggestions.

Thanks

Hey, the thing about NYC Architecture is all the good details are way up high on most of the buildings. I would dare to say have a decent telephoto lens somewhere handy along with your kit lens.

Heading up next week with my A6000 with kit lens, 16-50 I believe

I've never been impressed with this lens and would like something that will serve me well there and also my YouTube channel ( indoor product reviews )

In NY I'll be shooting architecture and the occasional group photo of my friends.

Cost is a factor, buthe I don't mind spending within reason.

I know there is no do all lens, but would like something capable for shooting most situations.

I'm thinking wide angle prime, but open to suggestions.

Thanks
I suggest walking in to B&H or Adorama while you are in New York and checking out some of their suggestion on your camera. Just remember they are closed on Saturdays. If you go, please post your experience; I also have the a6000 and kit lens.

the 16 -50 on a crop frame is really close to the FF 24-70, my absolute favorite lens.
a lot of NY sights depend on when you go out - and even what day of the week.

the sidewalks around and between Penn Station and the Empire State building are thronged with tourists and commuters.
If you plan on going to the Statue of Liberty, make reservations now.
If you plan on going to Adorama or BH, they both close at 2 on Friday and open on Sunday about 10 AM when they are mobbed. If you buy and carry away you will pay NY sales tax.

Buy a subway pass and get a subway/bus route map.
If you knoiw the days you'll be there, perhaps we could give some suggested places to shoot.

I'm up there for 10 days, so every day of the week is covered. The only day, I know I'll be there at night is the 27th for a Broadway show. My girl/friend is the tour guide so I don't know where were going. I'd like to see Times Square and Central Park. I'd rather have a lens before I go since I'm not sure if I'll get to NY for a couple days ( I'm staying in West Caldwell, NJ ). I'll order off Amazon tonight if someone can make a case for lens. Worse case scenario, I can return it if it doesn't work for me, but I can't stand doing that.

I just looked and 87% of all my pictures are taken with a 24-70 or equivalent.
I suggest you take pictures with what you know and have used.
There is no perfect all around lens and NY will always be there.

You can take a Path train from Newark to NYC - 25 minutes.

Going to take the camera to work tomorrow and grab some daylight shots. I changed a few settings and the biggest change I made which seems to have helped immensely is back button focus. I somehow forgot to do this even though I had it enabled on both my 6d and 7d. I changed a some metering values also. I may be able to get by with just the kit lens until I figure out what I really need, worst case I can still buy something and have it before I leave.

Most reactions

Back