newb here. should i start with a d40 or d70s.

I'd get the D70S. It has a automode setting that you can use until you figure out all the controls. DSLR lenses are much better than point and shoot cameras. You can pickup the 50mm f/1.8 for $120 new. It's a awesome lens for the price.

1. I have nothing against a high quality P&S if you don't mind upgrading later when you get the bug (like was said).

2. I know nothing about a D70 but I have a D40 and love it. It also has Auto-Mode and works like a P&S.

3. I got my D40 on craigslist for $300 with an extra lens, a wireless remote, a $240 flash and an $80 backpack.

4. I was gonna recommend a D3100, brand new on sale for $580 or less.

5. I agree that caps' and puncts' and such are not mandatory on the 'net but I've seen plenty of negative response (and lack of), on plenty of forums (of many interests) because the new guy didn't bother.

Good luck and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. The nice folks here are very helpful.

Mick

I'd get the D70S. It has a automode setting that you can use until you figure out all the controls. DSLR lenses are much better than point and shoot cameras. You can pickup the 50mm f/1.8 for $120 new. It's a awesome lens for the price.
So basically in auto mode, the d70s can be used as a point and shoot? Also can you point me in the direction to a 50mm f1.8.
1. I have nothing against a high quality P&S if you don't mind upgrading later when you get the bug (like was said).

2. I know nothing about a D70 but I have a D40 and love it. It also has Auto-Mode and works like a P&S.

3. I got my D40 on craigslist for $300 with an extra lens, a wireless remote, a $240 flash and an $80 backpack.

4. I was gonna recommend a D3100, brand new on sale for $580 or less.

5. I agree that caps' and puncts' and such are not mandatory on the 'net but I've seen plenty of negative response (and lack of), on plenty of forums (of many interests) because the new guy didn't bother.

Good luck and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. The nice folks here are very helpful.

Mick
Thanks for the help. The thing that scares me about the d40 is the lens. Ive read on here the a lens for a d70s will be significantly cheaper then for the d40. So thats a big plus for me.

Yea, I guess the built in focus motor is a viable concern. I still like the larger screen and lighter weight of the D40 and D3100 (with no focus motor in either). So AF lenses like the 50mm 1.8 will not work on those (will not auto-focus). There is a 50mm for $105 at "Buy & Sell" in this forum now.

I would assume there is a 50mm AF and a just a 50mm lens?

edit: found the for sale thread.

AFAIK there's just the AF 50mm in the f1.8 when we're talking Nikon dslr. It will auto-focus in the D50, D70 and D90. It will not auto-focus in the D40, D3000, D3100 and D5000.

edit; I know I'll wish later that I bought that 50mm but I hope it's not as soon as next week.:lol:

AFAIK there's just the AF 50mm in the f1.8 when we're talking Nikon dslr. It will auto-focus in the D50, D70 and D90. It will not auto-focus in the D40, D3000, D3100 and D5000.

edit; I know I'll wish later that I bought that 50mm but I hope it's not as soon as next week.:lol:

I just sent him a pm so we'll see where that goes. Ive read from a member of another forum that the 50 f/1.8 and I think 35 f/1.8 is a good all around lens.

I have the 35mm f1.8 and it is great. On cameras like we've been discussing, there is a "crop factor". The 35mm lens is more like a 50mm on a 35mm film camera. So IOW you multiply about 1.5 times. The 35mm lens is called a "normal" lens. I think the 50mm would be better for portraits and I'd sometimes (probably most times) prefer it for a walk around lens. I got the 35mm lens because it emulates my old film work. I'm not a pro, I just had a lot of fun with my old film camera with a fixed 50mm lens.

Forget eBay, try KEH or BHPhoto for used gear.

If you're totally new to this, I would heartily suggest the P100, to get started.

Don't worry, you won't outgrow this axe for at least a couple of years because it has THAT much fun stuff to work with. And you won't break the bank either!

Starting with a D40 or D70 is much akin to skipping ground school and hopping in the cockpit of a 747!
No, just no. A thousand times, no.

In terms of Nikon, a D70s is a wiser, more compatible choice.

Well ive switch my mind yet again. Im gonna get the 50mm in the buy and sell section. So ill be on the look out for a d70s. Thanks for the links epp.

Nikon D3100.
IMO: D40 < D60 < D3000 < D3100.
I have owned them all.

Most reactions

Back