What lenses should I start out with?

sweenona

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there! Brand new to The Photo Forum, excited to join you guys (and gals). So I recently decided to purchase a DSLR to use as a high end video camera for short films, but I've also become VERY excited to be able to pick up my photography hobby that I pursued when I was younger.

I'm basically a complete beginner when it comes to DSLR photography, but I can't wait to get started and I've decided to dive in with both feet. Yesterday I preordered a Canon 5D Mark III, and I'm trying to decide what lenses I should start out with.

I was thinking a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L. Would these focal lengths provide a nice coverage of my needs as a beginning photographer? Should I pursue a lens with a longer focal length to cover my bases?

Looking forward to your advice (and if you want to throw any extra advice in, feel free, I'm starting off pretty ignorant here) and thanks!

If you are doing video work you'll want to stick to prime lenses or zooms that are parfocal (parafocal? I can't remember which spelling it is). That means that the point of focus remains static when the focal length of the lens is changed. Many zooms for DSLRs are not parafocal (some get close others are miles off).
The 24-70mm f2.8 isn't parafocal and I'm not sure about the MII version of the lens.
The 24-105mm f4 IS L is parafocal and has IS which will help counter handholding motions from your body during stills and video work.

Overread, thanks for the tip, that's very helpful. Is there a resource that I can check to make sure if a lens is parfocal or not? I chose the 24-70mm f2.8 L over the 24-105mm f4 IS L because research and reviews led me to believe that the 24-70 produces better images. Would you say that statement is accurate? Is there a parfocal zoom lens that is on the same level as the 24-70 f2.8 L?

"better" is going to be a very subjective term when you start dealing with higher end goods. The 24-70mm and 24-105mm sit next to each other in giving slightly different performance, but also slightly different features. Each has its uses - the 24-70mm is popular because its wider max aperture gives it improved lower light performance; whilst the 24-105mm has the IS and longer focal length on offer. The 24-105mm pretty much is the other lens to the 24-70mm. The only other is the new 24-70mm MII which is, as yet, not on the market and I'm unsure if its parfocal or not (the lens spec sheet on the canon website should detail this info- if not you might find the info you need on that on a video specific community - we've a video section here, but fewer of the community currently active in video work).

Personally, esp as you're jumping in at the deep end with very high-value goods I would suggest the 5DMIII and 24-105mm and nothing else. Get those items, get used to them; shoot with them until you're comfortable with the aperture, ISO, shutter speed - shooting in manual mode (you don't "have" to use this mode but you should be able to use it to good effect when needed). You'll need the ground experience yourself shooting what you want to shoot in order to start getting experiences in the field form which to draw your own list of criteria and demands on your equipment. From there you can much more easily sift through the various lenses and options on the market and make better choices on the items that will suit your style and demands (and budget).

Otherwise you're running a little on too many other peoples criteria which might differ from your own. In addition the areas of interest that you've stated thus far have a pretty wide range of options - from zooms to primes to 3rd party options like Zeiss manual focus lenses. So there is a lot of choice and thus more reliance on your own criteria and experiences.

Yep, you're first instinct was correct, it's 'parfocal'.

For the OP. Which brand of accessories/rigs were you looking at to add to the 5D MKIII so you can do video effectively? Zacuto? Redrock Micro?

Overread, great advice, thank you! Now to call the camera store and see if I can change my preorder to include the kit 24-105mm.

KmH, I've just begun to look into that arena, any suggestions or experience would be welcome!

Hi there! Brand new to The Photo Forum, excited to join you guys (and gals). So I recently decided to purchase a DSLR to use as a high end video camera for short films, but I've also become VERY excited to be able to pick up my photography hobby that I pursued when I was younger.

I'm basically a complete beginner when it comes to DSLR photography, but I can't wait to get started and I've decided to dive in with both feet. Yesterday I preordered a Canon 5D Mark III, and I'm trying to decide what lenses I should start out with.

I was thinking a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L. Would these focal lengths provide a nice coverage of my needs as a beginning photographer? Should I pursue a lens with a longer focal length to cover my bases?

Looking forward to your advice (and if you want to throw any extra advice in, feel free, I'm starting off pretty ignorant here) and thanks!

if you want to get the 50mm, first try out the 50mm 1.4 not 1.2, it is a lot cheaper. but if your friend or family has one try theres first

Most reactions

New Topics

Back