What's new

Newbie here, Trying to pick a tripod within my budget

Out of the list, this is the best (please explain why in a reply)

  • Velbon Tracer 301

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vanguard PT-168

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Optex T-265

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SLIK U5500

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Insignia Tripod (NS-TRP58-C)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    1
  • Poll closed .
So no one has information on Vanguard or Velbon models?

Out of all of these tripods, which one is a good brand?

Vanguard PT-168 is very tempting with its price on ebay. But I have no clue about its load capacity.

Here is a photo of it. Are these marks a concern?
View attachment 291374
If that a picture of it, you don't want it/ Center post way to high for me, heavy camera could wobble it. those extensions from the center post bottom out restrict movement of the legs. My Bogen doesn't have them and can set it up anywhere. I can set it up with two legs on the ground and third one on the side of a hill or against a wall
 
If that a picture of it, you don't want it/ Center post way to high for me, heavy camera could wobble it. those extensions from the center post bottom out restrict movement of the legs. My Bogen doesn't have them and can set it up anywhere. I can set it up with two legs on the ground and third one on the side of a hill or against a wall

Thank you for laying out the details. As a layman, I had no clue.
What about this one?
1761704140319.webp
 
Thank you for laying out the details. As a layman, I had no clue.
What about this one?
View attachment 291484
I wouldn't do it. Those bars between the legs and center post will restrict the legs. Should work on fairly level ground though. probably work fine n a studio!
 
Unless i am missing it somewhere, I haven't seen any information about what kind of camera and lenses you plan on putting on the tripod. Since there is no info about the load factor or size of lenses, it makes suggesting a pod a rather random exercise. The only initial thing I would suggest is staying away from the rock-bottom units.
You say "wildlife", which then leads to longish telephotos. At the same time, you say "low cost", which is not a healthy combo.
For starters, which camera, which lenses?

C.
 
Unless i am missing it somewhere, I haven't seen any information about what kind of camera and lenses you plan on putting on the tripod. Since there is no info about the load factor or size of lenses, it makes suggesting a pod a rather random exercise. The only initial thing I would suggest is staying away from the rock-bottom units.
You say "wildlife", which then leads to longish telephotos. At the same time, you say "low cost", which is not a healthy combo.
For starters, which camera, which lenses?

C.

Right here, as for trail camera, I'm using ones on Amazon

I'm looking. Thinking Trail Cam or a budget Canon like Canon 7D but no exact model in mind besides that, any recommendations?


Thanks for the tip!
 
So no one has information on Vanguard or Velbon models?

Out of all of these tripods, which one is a good brand?

Vanguard PT-168 is very tempting with its price on ebay. But I have no clue about its load capacity.

Here is a photo of it. Are these marks a concern?
View attachment 291374
That one seems to have the quick release plate missing. Without the plate I would consider it to be worth less than the postage. Modern tripods often have arca swiss compatible quick release systems, but older ones tended to be propitiatory.
 
Look, here's the best advice I can give you:

1. You need to know exactly what camera and what lenses you will be putting on that tripod before buying it. If you don't have a firm plan for the gear and its use, you can't realistically spec out a tripod.

2. To find the correct tripod, you'll need to have the weight of the actual camera body plus whatever is the heaviest lens you will be using. Then you add at least 25% load capability (or more) above that for any given tripod head and leg combo. That means deliberately overbuying. The last thing you want to see is a tripod leg tromboning down under the weight and the camera following it into the ground.

3. Velbon and Slik are better-known names, but most brands include cheap models. I use Benro, which is well-built, and which has a good range of models. Once you figure out your gear needs, go to B&H's website and look at the different tripods. There you will get a far better comparison between types and use.

I hope this helps; let us know when you make your decisions, and what you picked.

Best,
C
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom