Newbie needs advice on lenses.

RamJam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hiya, Canadian here.

I have a Olympus E-510 with the kit lense (14-42mm). While they are decent, sometimes I just feel like I am not close enough for a good shot. This is often frustrating, especially when I'm up in the park and there are great chances for taking pictures of wildlife.

I have never messed with lenses before, so I am looking for a general use lookaround lenses that I can use for most occasions, then I can branch out from there depending on what kind of photography I really do. I looked around the internet, but there are so many options and different widgets that lenses have, I cannot decide what is best for my budget, which is just under 300 loonies.

It would be greatly appreciated if some of you veteran folks can point me to the right way on which types of lenses that are right for me, and what kind of zoom I would need.

Thanks and hopefully you have warmer weather than up here! :mrgreen:

It’s a little tough to say without more specifics. What kind of wildlife? How close can you safely get to it? I have an 80-200 f2.8 (120-300 with a 1.5 crop factor) that is my favorite lens (or was until my wife gave me a 24-70 f2.8 for Christmas). It not so big that it’s hard to carry around yet has decent reach for larger things as long as they are not too far away. To go any bigger than that you need to start thinking about carrying a tripod and saving more loonies. It is however, on the low end of the focal length spectrum for wildlife. It’s also a great casual people lens because you can get intimate shots without getting in their face, you can stand back and let them relax. I use it for landscapes too becasue I like to pick out details. Vibration reduction would be something to consider but will add more loonies. Hope this is helpful…JSD

Generally speaking for wildlife you want as fast and as long a lens that you can afford. How else can you shoot the eagle diving for a fish from a mile and half away. If you stay with the Olympus brand, which is not a bad choice they make great glass, the really good ones are around 2K and up. It's more of an all purpose lens but they have a 40-150 3.5/4.5 close to your price range, it won't do the eagle shot but it might be enough for what you want.

Haha, thanks for the replies guys.

I am not what you guys envision of me. Maybe I shouldn't call it "wildlife", but I normally take runs in the parks and take shots when I can. Sometimes I run into some bears or deer, and cannot get a good shot unless I zoom-crop it. Other times I see an opportunity for some great scenery shots but cannot venture far off the trail.

I've also just noticed, when I tilt my camera, I hear grain sounds rolling inside. Not a lot, but noticeable if you put your year to it. I'm pretty sure it might just be the sensor filter, but I've also just gone to Cuba and I think it might be sand....

You may be looking for a new camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back