Newbie Question

Brian C.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings. I am new and from another site that changed their platform, and I don’t want to step on people’s toes or offend anyone. Where should I post photos for a critique? Example - If I have a landscape photo should it be under landscapes? Thanks Brian

If can almost post anywhere, but typically in the forum that best fits the subject ... and if you ask for comment, you will get it.

If can almost post anywhere, but typically in the forum that best fits the subject ... and if you ask for comment, you will get it.

Great. Thank you. I didn’t know if there was a special critique forum. The last site I was on has an image review section, and I don’t want to upset people if they’re not looking for feedback.

... and I am not sure about others in the Forum, but I prefer to see attached images in full format instead of a thumbnail (I think thumb is the default ??) Note sure if you can go back and edit a post to change that.

... and I am not sure about others in the Forum, but I prefer to see attached images in full format instead of a thumbnail (I think thumb is the default ??) Note sure if you can go back and edit a post to change that.

I don’t know about adding the full image, but I will check. Good advice and thanks.

I don’t know about adding the full image, but I will check. Good advice and thanks.
You should re-size the file before posting to facilitate fast imaging. Be kind to the bandwidth. When you attach an image, you will see two choices; thumbnail or full size. Select full size. If you attach more than one image, you can wait to just before hitting the "post" to select all images (again at full size).

As far as I know, images are subject to critique and comment (called C&C) when it is posted in the "Photo Galleries" forum. A few members have stipulated "no critique", but they sometimes get it anyway.

Speaking of "more than one", I much prefer only one image per thread, unless there is a question about comparing two or more images. If you do post more than one, please number them which makes it easier to comment on any specific photograph.

Then there is the "mini expo", such as when someone posts several photos of a trip he took or an event she covered, or the like. In that case, we generally won't try to do a complete critique on any individual photographs.

So jump in!

Last edited:

Great. Thank you. I didn’t know if there was a special critique forum. The last site I was on has an image review section, and I don’t want to upset people if they’re not looking for feedback.

Just wanted to point out that photos posted in the Just For Fun gallery are not usually critiqued. All others in Gallery forums are subject to critique as noted above. Most people who really want critique will request C&C in the title or introduction. It’s helpful to add info on what you like/don’t like about the photo or which area you may be looking for critique on (composition, lighting, editing etc.).

Here’s a very detailed post from one of our moderators about posting for critique: How to structure your posts to get critiques on your work (C&C)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back