Newbie software question...

mckinj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new into photography and have a rebel xti and a mac computer. I already have adobe ps elements 4.0 but want something a little different/better I think. I was reading about lightroom and CS2 and am not sure which would be better for me in the early stages here. Any insight would be great...also are there any online tutorials on these programs.

Thanks
Jamie

Both Lightroom and CS2 are good products. I have Elements 6.0 and I love it for workflow and being able to edit anything in the pictures.

I liked Lightroom, but for now I am sticking with Elements. Later on I might go with both.

As far as online tutorials, you can visit Abobe. They have tons of online things and a Google search will show up a lot of sites with tutorials written for just about any Adobe product.

Welcome to the forum.

Check out this site http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
There is plenty of good info and some tutorials etc.

Lightroom is a 'workflow' software that was made for working with lots of images...RAW images, although I think you can use JPEG etc.

Photoshop CS2 (or the newer CS3) is a full blown image editing program...sort of like Elements but much more powerful.

What is it about Elements that you feel is lacking?

Also, you can download trial versions of Photoshop and lightroom from Adobe.com

I am also fairly new but I have a lot of friends in the industry which have given me several programs and recommendations. I also have a xti but I have a pc. I used to be a graphic designer and am very familiar with photoshop but since I have started taking pictures I wasnt getting the results from photoshop that I wanted. The picture didnt look as clean and sharp as other photo's I was seeing. Then I started taking pictures in the RAW form (which in the xti you have to go into the setting and change your output to RAW, you can read about it in the manual) and editing them with photoshop and my pictures were looking a lot better. Then a friend of mine told me to try lightroom and my pictures were looking a lot better. I was thinking that inorder to get really good picture I was going to have to but a really expensive camera and lens.

But then a couple months ago a friend of mine who is a big time photographer told me about a program named SILKYPIX. This has drastically change the quality of the picture I am producing and I am getting photo's from my xti that are comparable people with much more expensive camera. I would highly recommend this program especially for RAW photo but I even took some of my older photos in jpeg form and it even made them look a lot better.

I would highly recommend this program and I know you can find it on the web or from the develpers, shortcut software (shortcutinc.com) with a full functionalility 2 week free trial.

Just giving my 2 cents! If anyone have any good recommendations or other forums where I could learn more about SILKYPIX let me know... ([email protected])

thanks

I am new into photography and have a rebel xti and a mac computer. I already have adobe ps elements 4.0 but want something a little different/better I think. I was reading about lightroom and CS2 and am not sure which would be better for me in the early stages here. Any insight would be great...also are there any online tutorials on these programs.

Thanks
Jamie

Thanks
Jamie

If you have an intel mac dont get CS2, you will find that it is very slow. CS3 is the way to go for intel macs.

Most reactions

Back