What's new

Newbie - Water Drops Photography - Suggestions needed

Ravi3333

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 8, 2012
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Location
India
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi There,


I recently bought Canon 600D Rebel T3i, and just started learning photography. Uploaded here are some the water droplet snaps
taken at home with a simple setup.

Please provide your comments/suggestions & corrections that would help to improve my skills.

Configurations used

lens : Basic 18 - 55 mm
Shutter Speed : 1/25
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO : Auto
Flash : Yes

Thanks in advance.
Ravi
 

Attachments

  • $IMG_0696.webp
    $IMG_0696.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 144
  • $IMG_0695.webp
    $IMG_0695.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 147
  • $IMG_0673.webp
    $IMG_0673.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 122
  • $IMG_0664.webp
    $IMG_0664.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 119
  • $IMG_0654.webp
    $IMG_0654.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 139
  • $IMG_0561.webp
    $IMG_0561.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 117
  • $IMG_0548.webp
    $IMG_0548.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 124
  • $IMG_0544.webp
    $IMG_0544.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 130
  • $IMG_0458.webp
    $IMG_0458.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 128
  • $IMG_0455.webp
    $IMG_0455.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 122
These look pretty good for a first time. My only thought would be to shoot more from a "straight-on" angle rather then from an "above" angle - let the camera shoot across the top of the water so that the drops fall through the field of view. Put a piece of coloured board, behind the droplets and shoot across the water towards the board, letting the flash activate from the side of the setup at 90° from the camera. Not sure what colour board to use, so you might have to experiment a bit. Just an idea that I have seen done elsewhere. I would also try increasing my shutter speed to whatever your flash x-sync speed is (I believe for the T3i it is 1/200 sec.) and see what the results are.

Are you using the on-board flash or a speedlite? Not sure if this makes a difference at the small distances that you are working at, but I am just curious.

WesternGuy
 
I also think those are very good for a first try. My advice would be:

1. Make sure the camera is level (some of the shots posted are tilted)
2. You can give it some color by either using food dye or gels (not sure which one you used), and you can combine the two to get pretty cool color effects
3. Depending on the type of splash you want, you can alter the depth of the water.
4. use the suggestion from above, OR, go for a completely different approach, and use acrylic and shallow water to shoot from BELOW the splash...
5. As stated above, try illuminating from the side

These are just some additional ideas; I think your shots are not bad at all, especially the last 3 green ones...
 
These look pretty good for a first time. My only thought would be to shoot more from a "straight-on" angle rather then from an "above" angle - let the camera shoot across the top of the water so that the drops fall through the field of view. Put a piece of coloured board, behind the droplets and shoot across the water towards the board, letting the flash activate from the side of the setup at 90° from the camera. Not sure what colour board to use, so you might have to experiment a bit. Just an idea that I have seen done elsewhere. I would also try increasing my shutter speed to whatever your flash x-sync speed is (I believe for the T3i it is 1/200 sec.) and see what the results are.

Are you using the on-board flash or a speedlite? Not sure if this makes a difference at the small distances that you are working at, but I am just curious.

WesternGuy

Hey WesternGuy,
Thanks for your review comments :). next time will try to focus from "straight-on" angle.

I am not thorough with the Photography Terminology so, if your are referring on-board flash as built-in flash then YES I am using the camera built-in flash and no additional flash equipments.

Thanks
Ravi
 
Hi Jfrabat,

Thanks for taking your time in providing me with suggestions. for your information, In the green snaps I used a Gift wrapping papers (Green Color).

Thanks,
Ravi
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom