ramjamband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi to everyone. Just found this forum so thoght I would register and say hello. I have recentley returned to photography after a long lay off. I have a Canon EOS 3000, a Canon Ixus and a Sony Cybershot Digital. My main interest is Photographing Bands performing on stage in particular my son's bands. Any tips on stage photography will be appreciated as I am a complete novice to this aspect of photography.

Hi there and welcome!
I believe that there's several members who are involved with bands and the photographing of them so I'm fairly certain you're gonna get a lot of input.
Have fun!

Awesome! Good for you, to get yourself involved in your son's music in your own artistic way. That's totally cool. I have several friends in bands and appreciate the challenge of photographing in these low lit situations....hope you post some stuff soon.

Have fun, and welcome! :D

Welcome to the forum :D

I'm not familiar with any of the cameras you mentioned (they sound high tech, and I am a low techie), but I do shoot bands. I'm photographing one tonight.

I think that the most important piece of equip is a fast lens: f/2 or better. Fast zoom lenses are very expensive, but you can usually find fast fixed focal length lenses for a reasonable price. 50mm works great or the smaller venues I'm usually shooting at; 50mm is also common therefore cheap. If you frequent large, open clubs or arenas you probably want something more telephoto.

I take your point about fast lenses. My EOS 3000 has only got a 35-80mm f/4 zoom, not bad focul length but too slow. I have found a couple of traders on e-bay tonight selling standard Canon EF 50MM f/1.8 for about £75 including postage. I think I will get one as the venues we frequent are pretty small and so 50MM should be OK.

Well I decided on an an impulse to buy the 50mm f1.8 from my local Jessops..£80. Have just exposed my first roll of Fuji 1600ASA taking shots of my eldest son's band. Will let you know how they turn out. If they are any good they will be uploaded to their website.
Take a look at this site for photos of "The Angel Of the North" which is a pretty awesome sculpture in the North of England. http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/angel/pics2.htm

Most reactions

Back