Newbie's confusion between Nikon D5100D , Nikon D3200...

mac4rfree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I am very new to the forum as well as to DSLR. I only had a sony Point and Shoot camera.

I like to buy a DSLR mostly for personal use, portraits during family functions, videos during marriages, landscapes photo (travel has been less after my marriage though)...

My budget is around 400$. I have narrowed it down to Nikon D5100 and Nikon 3200D. I am not able to make out which one to buy among these two.

Ofcourse both are coming only with the standard 18-55mm lens and then there is canon 1100D with 18-55mm lens and 55-250mm lens.

Can somebody help me out.

Cheers!!!!!

Both are good but I'd lean towards the d5100 for the features and flip out over the MPs.

Hi Guys,

I am very new to the forum as well as to DSLR. I only had a sony Point and Shoot camera.

I like to buy a DSLR mostly for personal use, portraits during family functions, videos during marriages, landscapes photo (travel has been less after my marriage though)...

My budget is around 400$. I have narrowed it down to Nikon D5100 and Nikon 3200D. I am not able to make out which one to buy among these two.

Ofcourse both are coming only with the standard 18-55mm lens and then there is canon 1100D with 18-55mm lens and 55-250mm lens.

Cheers!!!!!

The D3200 has a higher MP sensor which means the images will be larger and give you the ability to crop/enlarge photos a little better than the images taken with a D5100, since the D5100 has a 16 mp sensor. The overall image quality between the two though is about the same. The D5100 has the flip out screen, which is very handy when your shooting video or trying to line up a shot at an angle, such as say on a tripod. The D5100 has better low light performance and in camera HDR which is nice when your doing things like landscapes.

If your looking at getting something you'll be taking pictures with occasionally I'd probably go with the D3200 - it has a handy guide mode that will make the camera very easy to use. If your looking to get into photography as a hobby I'd probably go with the D5100, it will give you features that you'll really be able to exploit to your advantage once you start taking pictures regularly and learning the system.

The Canon 1100d (or T3 as it's known here in the states) is not something I'd really recommend. It's only real advantage would be cost, but in almost every meaningful category the Nikon D5100 has much better capabilities, much better image quality and much better lowlight performance. I use a D5100 myself, usually in conjunction with a 70-300 mm Nikkor VR Lens - you can click on the link below in my signature line (the link appears in red) if you'd care to see some sample shots taken with a D5100 so you can get a better idea as to the image quality it can produce.

Cheers!!!!!
The Nikon D3200 and D5100 are indeed offered with both an 18-55 mm and 55-200 mm lens:
Nikon D5100 16.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR AF-S Lenses

Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lenses

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
D5100 is an older camera but is placed higher in Nikon camera ladder then the newer and more modern D3200.
Both cameras are very good and very capable, D5100 has more features while the newer D3200 has 24MP sensor.
Getting any one of the two will do all that you need, I must admit if I had to choose between the two I would probably go for the more modern D3200.

I would stay away from the Canon 1100D, very, very basic camera!

Thanks for all suggestions.. I think i will go ahead with 5100D..
@KmH My budget is strictly 400$ as of now.. In my country (india) i am getting it online for 400$ (new ones). Anyway thanks for the links.. i have shared those with my frenz in states.. :)

Thanks for all suggestions.. I think i will go ahead with 5100D..
@KmH My budget is strictly 400$ as of now.. In my country (india) i am getting it online for 400$ (new ones). Anyway thanks for the links.. i have shared those with my frenz in states.. :)
Good buy, enjoy your new camera :)

There is really no wrong choice here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back