Newborn, CC please

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I had a shoot with a friend's children, nieces, and nephews today and this is one of her nephews. He's 4 weeks old, so a little bit outside the "ideal" newborn age for photos, but his hospital pictures apparently were horrible and they really wanted something... So we did some separate photos of him, and this is the only one I've worked on so far.

Please let me know what you think of the skin tone as well as any other things. The original shot was in landscape orientation, but I rotated in photoshop to a portrait orientation because the landscape one isn't straight and if I rotate the image just by a few degrees, I end up cutting off the top of his head or some of his finger tips...

Thanks :) (Oh, and no comments are necessary on the logo/watermark thing, thanks) :)

Landscape:
5992531789_2663c90985_z.jpg

Portrait:
5992560755_710009d54e_z.jpg

Okay, I waited 8 hours before bumping this time... Should I just give up on posting for c&c here?

Okay, I waited 8 hours before bumping this time... Should I just give up on posting for c&c here?
Nah, it seems like almost everybody is too busy posting in that other thread lol. Also during the weekend most of the people is partying and stuff so just give it some time :) . I really like the first one, good focusing and just enough light but there's too much wasted space to the left, I would've moved the camera a bit to the right.

The portrait orientation in #2 leaves me feeling a little uncomfortable. I know you did this just to try to save a shot....but it doesn't work for me. I do like the angle of the shot better in # 2. The first one w/ the down angle just isn't as cute.......it's the way I would look at a baby all the time. Keep shooting........lookin good.

i agree with "mishele" about #2 i think #1 is a bit over expose on the whites.. but really love your pics!

I am a relative newbie but have spent a lot of time looking into and working on newborn photography so here are my thoughts/opinions.
I agree with the above, there is wasted space above the baby's head, but not a lot of the baby in the pic.
Best time to take newborn pics are just after a feed so they are really sleepy and you can play about with them more.
There are loads of tutorials on youtube that give you direction and idea's on how to position a newborn, which are really helpful.
I also like to use props, I just ask the family for something personal that you can try to get into your image to make it unique for them (eg... gardeners, find a big plant pot to put the baby in, or use flowers in the shot)
Newborns are hte most time consuming but they stay still so getting the poses is easier and you can play about a bit more.

Also, the skintone is a bit light for me, especially on the white background.

(it's probably my fault that no-one is responding to you because I started astupid thread that has gone into a way crazy debate...oops) :/

Most reactions

Back