Help please - total rookie here with hopefully not too dumb questions

yankeefan1234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I apolgize up front. I know nothing about cameras, but need to learn something rather quickly. My nephew is 14 and is asking for a camera to video his puppets. He is a total novice too but saw something on youtube and now wants a camera. He's asking about a Canon EOS R 50. I am willing to buy him a used one and if he stays with it, I'll go new. Here is my problem. I see cameras that say mirrorless and cameras that say camera body only. (Sorry if I'm mixing apples with oranges.) If I buy him a camera body, will be be able to video? Do I need to buy anything in addition to the camera body for the camera to be functional? I apologize again if I sound stupid. I am apparently when it comes to understanding cameras. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I am trying to stay as economical as possible, so if I do need anything additional, please suggest the least expensive fix. Thank you!

that's a bit pricy for a first camera. unless you're set on canon. i'd look at a used nikon d3200. with a kit lens. takes pretty good video, and the 18-55 lens is ok too. a tripod you can pick up a local store. can pick this up for around $300 or less if you shop around. (ebay, market place) just my two cents.

that's a bit pricy for a first camera. unless you're set on canon. i'd look at a used nikon d3200. with a kit lens. takes pretty good video, and the 18-55 lens is ok too. a tripod you can pick up a local store. can pick this up for around $300 or less if you shop around. (ebay, market place) just my two cents.
Thank you! I'll check that out.

Think of it like two parts to a camera, body and lens. "Body only" means you'll still need to buy a lens.

Mirrorless is a type of camera body, as is DSLR. DSLRs have a mirror inside that flips up when you take a picture.

All the camera bodies have certain lenses that are compatible with them.
Brand name alone does not ensure compatibility, you'll have to look up each individual model and lens to see if they'll work together.

G'day mate

While the Canon is at the professional end of the spectrum, I'd suggest that a better camera for the boy would be the Panasonic FZ-300 at about $us600 new or $us300~400 used (if you can find one)

It has excellent video -and- stills capabilities and its lens is a professional calibre 'constant-aperture' design that will never need replacing. (I use one of these cameras daily)

The other suggestion I have is to use Dr Google to "Download User Manual" for whatever camera you are considering and read thru it to get a full idea about the thing!!

edit ... I would also suggest you login to the Grahame Houghton (UK) video channel to see how he uses Canon & Panasonic cameras for his commercial video activities

Hope this helps
Phil

Last edited:
Let me add my 2 cents.
First most modern cameras can do video. However, first and foremost, they're for taking still photos (and have video capability). If the ONLY thing your nephew is truly interested in is doing video, then you may be better off getting him a phone that does video. It won't have anywhere near the still photo capability and range of a true camera (DSLR or Mirrorless camera). But it will do video well and he'll carry it around and it's what teens and 20-somethings tend to lean to for taking pictures and posting stuff on IG.

Second, with any think you buy, you should think of getting a tripod to steady the phone/camera as he videos. That allows for smoothing panning (moving the camera from side-to-side or tracking a moving object like a dog without getting a choppy picture). For a phone, it can be dirt cheap ($15) and for a DSLR/Mirrorless it can be cheap but bigger ($45).

Third, the initial recommendation of a Nikon D3200 with a kit lens is a good one. You'll also want to get a cheap tripod. And a continuous light (not a flash or speed light but something to add light to an interior setting). Here is an example of something that would be versatile for someone his age and what he's likely taping: Amazon product ASIN B08L4DB1CC
Fourth, one other thought: if he's talking about videoing puppets while they move, that implies one of two things. Either he has a partner helping him. Or he's triggering the camera/phone remotely. Ask him how he's thinking about doing this. Because if he wants to film himself using the puppets he'll need a remote. So you'll need to buy that in order to really use a camera to do video (unless, again, he has someone else filming him while he's does a puppet show).

I absolutely wouldn't get him a new camera at this point. It's so easy for teens to fall in love with something and then out of love in 6 months. So your thought of starting used and simpler and then upgrading if he's committed to it is the way to go.

Get a tripod made for video. When shooting video, you need the head to move smoothly otherwise the video jumps as you move the tripod head. Sony makes good ones that are inexpensive and have remote control to control the camera from where he'll be with the puppets. You might think of mating the camera with the tripod as a single purpose rather than hope different manufacturer's will easily work together. Call B&H Photo for free advice. Explain your situation and ask them for recommendations.

He's going to need an editor program to edit all the video clips to make into a movie. Then it has to be created in a format that will be played back. You may want to add background music and narration along with titles and credits, just like a real movie. I use Adobe Premiere Elements for video editing to do these things. There is also Adobe Elements for stills, it's companion software. (I think each are $100 and both together are $150). These are purchased prices. No rental required. There are different levels of experience made into these that will be helpful to him as a new videographer and digital photographer. Good luck to him, and you.

I don’t know if others said
Canon unless you get a video camera all the canons that I have used and others I have looked at.
They ONLY give 30 minutes of video at a time. Ask if this is enough

This has opened a can of worms! Unless your nephew is dedicated to pursuing photography/video then buying a new system would be overkill. Also, getting to grips with a new camera involves a lot of learning. Because of this and the potential cost involved renting might be worth a look. You can rent a basic DLSR with lens relatively cheaply and it will give you an idea of what's involved.

Being a Canon man myself, I'm not familiar with the other models. My last DSLR was a T5i. If my 12 year old was serious about Photo/Video, I would get him a used T5I with a used 18-80 lens. You can probably find both items for under $500.00.

For any adult, I recommend the current T_I model (I think it's a T8i right now) as a starting point.

These cameras have a "Crop Sensor," meaning the sensor is smaller. Crop sensors contain fewer pixels, or have smaller pixels that hold less data, or anywhere in-between. They aren't ideal for professional work, but perfectly fine for a young hobbyist and are a great way of learning about what you're jumping into before getting something "Full Frame."

And dido to the extra supplies needed, a light, tripod, and remote.

I have to agree with JoeW on this, if it's just Video and Editing the Apple 13, 14 or 15 do great videos as well as the Samsung S22 and S23.

check out this on using a camera for Video.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back