Next item up for bid

TMBPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so you aren't really bidding on anything. Looking for C+C on this pic. Not looking for composition though cause obviously its just a tub of dip. Looking for the other technical aspects. Exposure, focus all that stuff. I've been reading a lot lately and things are just starting to click. Hopefully this will show some of my progress. Thanks.

IMG_1129.jpg

The light is too far behind the cup. The left side is bright, but there is a shadow cast across the words. If you turned the cup towards the light a little but more, it would have gotten more light on the words, since that is your main focus. I also seems a bit yellow. I think that maybe your white ballance was a bit warm.

I think the exposure is OK, but it's kind of difficult (at least for me) to tell, because of the shadow on the cup.

The lighting is totally off. if you turn the front of the dip towards the light and position yourself so that you're facing what the light is hitting.

Other than that, it's just a blurry cup of dip.

Not looking for composition though cause obviously its just a tub of dip.
You should be concerned with the composition of every photo, save snap shots.

The white balnce is off. It look like you used tungsten/incandecent light with the camera white balance set to sunlight.

The wrong part of the product is lit. A client would not want the product's name to be under exposed. like it is here.

all good things to know. Thank you. Haven't mastered this white balance thing yet. Was set to AWB.

what did you do in editing to get everything whiter?

Picturebox, product shots are made so there is room for advertising copy, that is usually cheesy.

First I used Camera Raw (CS5) to adjust the white balance (Temperature and Tint sliders). Then in CS5 I used the Quick Selection tool to select the tub, but I didn't select the top, from the front edge back. I also selected the shadow on the table and the dark vertical edge.
With the selection active I then hit Ctrl-J and copied the selection to a new layer. I then changed the blending mode of that new layer to 'Screen'.
I then went back to the 'Background' layer and copied it with Ctrl-J. I then Healing Brush'd out the 2 bubbles in the back wall, used the Sharpen tool (50%, Protect Detail) on the tub, and added the text (font = Mongolian Baiti) and a layer style (Stroke).

what did you do in editing to get everything whiter?

It's really not that terribly hard or complicated.
I can see from the image that the picture was taken under tungsten light. IE, a 100 watt light bulb.
There should be a setting on your camera that changes the white balance to compensate for Tungsten.

after the suggestion, I did try another shot with the WB set to tungsten. I didn't see any bit of change though. Granted, I was only looking at it thru a 3" inch screen.

Tweek the white balance, while set to tungsten.........move it away from the reds and yellows and see what happens.

after the suggestion, I did try another shot with the WB set to tungsten. I didn't see any bit of change though. Granted, I was only looking at it thru a 3" inch screen.
The rear LCD is pretty limited to:
Verifying focus (zoom in)
Verifying framing and composition
Looking at the histogram.

The rear LCD is to crude for evaluating exposure, color or white balance. A major issue is the widely varying ambient light conditions the rear LCD is used in.

Your journey has just begun...How to use a gray card - Bing

Read the color management tutorials here: Understanding White Balance

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

Most reactions

Back