Next purchase for OCF use?

Thanks for being rational. Obviously we are openly showing our work, and actually doing free engagements shoots first, and letting them decide on the wedding later. No pressure, no skin off our back either way. We openly told them that we are NOT pros, and they know that we have never shot a wedding before. However, they like our work, and are going to pay WAY less for us to shoot it than for a pro who might get better results overall, but for about 4x the cost. I think you are looking at this more rationally than Buckster who was acting like we have no ability and are out to rip off every bride we come across.

To keep it "fair and balanced" Buckster makes some good points. Further, I don't really have a dog in this fight, so to speak. Admittedly, I joined the fray when I read the doctor analogy...just couldn't resist! I don't think he meant to accuse you of ripping anyone off. Just don't misrepresent yourself and don't get sued.

If this thread was about whether or not I am ready for wedding photography then I would agree that he made some good points. Since this thread was about what epuipment I should buy to help me in getting the flash off-camera I don't think he made much of a contribution.

Anyone with specific recommendations on stands, umbrellas, or other gear you like in general feel free to share. I am guessing most will be put off within the first 5 responses since this thread turned into another circus show of uneccesary arguing and degrading instead of helpful insight.

Again, if the bride isn't happy with the bargain basement, cut-rate, GWAC photographer/friend that she hired to document the biggest day in her life, then, well, to put it bluntly, too damn bad.

You don't know many brides do you? There is a youtube video of a bride who wasn't happy with the haircut she was halfway through getting, proceeded to take the scissors and start cutting her own hair, then went mental and screamed at her brides maid's. I have seen a bride's maid with a black eye because of something she said. This very forum has plenty of examples of people ending up in court over the finest of pictures, so imagine standing infront of the judge and telling him that was your first shot and you didn't know what you were doing.

In reality buckster got it wrong. It's not a life and death situation for the bride. It's a life and death situation for YOU.

If you have to ask ANY question relating to technique or gear on a forum, you're not ready. All you have to go on is prayer and hope that your "practice" clients are lenient.

Again, if the bride isn't happy with the bargain basement, cut-rate, GWAC photographer/friend that she hired to document the biggest day in her life, then, well, to put it bluntly, too damn bad.

You don't know many brides do you? There is a youtube video of a bride who wasn't happy with the haircut she was halfway through getting, proceeded to take the scissors and start cutting her own hair, then went mental and screamed at her brides maid's. I have seen a bride's maid with a black eye because of something she said. This very forum has plenty of examples of people ending up in court over the finest of pictures, so imagine standing infront of the judge and telling him that was your first shot and you didn't know what you were doing.

In reality buckster got it wrong. It's not a life and death situation for the bride. It's a life and death situation for YOU.

If you have to ask ANY question relating to technique or gear on a forum, you're not ready. All you have to go on is prayer and hope that your "practice" clients are lenient.

At this moment I would admit that I am not ready. I don't understand where I put off a vibe that I think I am some baller pro who is ready to shoot weddings. I feel like some people are just looking for any reason to hate on others skill level or knowledge to feel better about their ability. They make sure I know that I am an inexperienced noob with no knowledge or money, but don't offer any information that would help me improve. Why do these people post in my thread if they don't want to help me get better?

I am not ready, but I have 8 months to get ready. Is that not enough time? Not to mention, I don't necessarily even need to use OCF at these weddings, and could stick to what I know already. However, instead of just being happy with my decent shots now I am trying to learn other techniques as well. I have actually been thinking about how much OCF would even help at a wedding. Not sure yet, though I have seen plenty of examples of photogs not using OCF AT ALL during entire weddings.

...have seen plenty of examples of photogs not using OCF AT ALL during entire weddings.

Were they any good? And yes you could grow a beard and say you only use natural light. But the location really determines the type of lighting you'll use. Next month I have a wedding and I know that I wont be using OCF. The ceiling is so low I wouldn't get any even spread with an OCF bouncing off the ceiling (well I could use it but I would need to adjust it every time I move to another angle). So I am bouncing on camera flash with a full cut of CTO and a Lumiquest 80-20 card.

But for the formal photos I will be shooting 2 SB-600 units through a translucent umbrella.

And you might want to rent some pocketwizzards for the wedding. (I have Cactus triggers as a backup and they aren't the most reliable thing)

Let's see...

No experience. Check.
No knowledge. Check.
No money. Check.
Already booking portraits and weddings. Check.

:confused:

Get an umbrella and get over to Strobist 101 to at least get some basics.

+1 ive been shooting for years but still learn new tricks, you have a very long way to go

...have seen plenty of examples of photogs not using OCF AT ALL during entire weddings.

Were they any good? And yes you could grow a beard and say you only use natural light. But the location really determines the type of lighting you'll use. Next month I have a wedding and I know that I wont be using OCF. The ceiling is so low I wouldn't get any even spread with an OCF bouncing off the ceiling (well I could use it but I would need to adjust it every time I move to another angle). So I am bouncing on camera flash with a full cut of CTO and a Lumiquest 80-20 card.

But for the formal photos I will be shooting 2 SB-600 units through a translucent umbrella.

And you might want to rent some pocketwizzards for the wedding. (I have Cactus triggers as a backup and they aren't the most reliable thing)

Many of them are very good. Look around these forums and you will see a lot of good examples imo. By the time the weddings come around we will probably just buy wizzards depending on how much we plan on and have been using OCF (hopefully a lot by then). Right now we are slowly adding equipment and learning to use it as we go (35mm prime, then 50mm prime, then D90, then SB-600, next will be 2.8 zooms, etc).

Let's see...

No experience. Check.
No knowledge. Check.
No money. Check.
Already booking portraits and weddings. Check.

:confused:

Get an umbrella and get over to Strobist 101 to at least get some basics.

+1 ive been shooting for years but still learn new tricks, you have a very long way to go

I thought that having a long way to go was very obvious. But thanks for pointing it out just in case it wasn't.

Buckster, Why is an umbrella a better choice than say a softbox?

To try and get this thread back in to the realm of being helpful, not that I think the other responses are unwarranted...

For starters, umbrellas are far cheaper, which sounds like it's what you're looking for. They are also generally quicker to set up and smaller when packed away.

Umbrellas offer less control over the light, but for many situations, particularly tighter portraits, it's a bit of a non issue. The light qualities of each are different, and I would say that most people prefer to work with soft boxes, but that's not to say that umbrellas are bad looking light. A shoot through umbrella can give very nice, soft light, and a reflective silver can really give a punchy, glamour look for people with good skin.

Umbrellas seem to be everyone's first modifier when getting into the OCF thing, and they are a great place to start.

The otherthing I would highly suggest is the Lumiquest Softbox III, or even better the new Lumiquest Softbox LT, which is a bit bigger. These aren't true softboxes, per se, but they are small modifiers, meant to go on hotshoe flashes. THey offer really nice light when worked in close for portraits, or can give a punchy beauty dish look when pushed through the shoot-thru part of a pop up reflector.

You should be able to get an umbrella for $20-40, and a Lumiquest softbox for $50-75 or so. For about $100, that can give you quite a few options.

Also, as I just mentioned, you should have one of the 5-in-1 pop up reflectors which has a translucent shoot-thru center. Those are infinitely handy.

Buckster, Why is an umbrella a better choice than say a softbox?

To try and get this thread back in to the realm of being helpful, not that I think the other responses are unwarranted...

For starters, umbrellas are far cheaper, which sounds like it's what you're looking for. They are also generally quicker to set up and smaller when packed away.

Umbrellas offer less control over the light, but for many situations, particularly tighter portraits, it's a bit of a non issue. The light qualities of each are different, and I would say that most people prefer to work with soft boxes, but that's not to say that umbrellas are bad looking light. A shoot through umbrella can give very nice, soft light, and a reflective silver can really give a punchy, glamour look for people with good skin.

Umbrellas seem to be everyone's first modifier when getting into the OCF thing, and they are a great place to start.

The otherthing I would highly suggest is the Lumiquest Softbox III, or even better the new Lumiquest Softbox LT, which is a bit bigger. These aren't true softboxes, per se, but they are small modifiers, meant to go on hotshoe flashes. THey offer really nice light when worked in close for portraits, or can give a punchy beauty dish look when pushed through the shoot-thru part of a pop up reflector.

You should be able to get an umbrella for $20-40, and a Lumiquest softbox for $50-75 or so. For about $100, that can give you quite a few options.

Also, as I just mentioned, you should have one of the 5-in-1 pop up reflectors which has a translucent shoot-thru center. Those are infinitely handy.

Thanks Benson. This is what I needed, some explanation and possible gear recommendations. I will definitely look into this gear and probably make some purchases soon. Should I still buy a 5-in-1 pop up reflector if I already have a triangular reflector with a silver and a gold side? Sounds like the 5-in-1 has some other useful things with it. Also, I am having a hard time figuring out how a speedlight with a cactus trigger mounted to the hot-shoe will be connected to a stand. It looks like most options are for the speedlight would connect to the stand via the hot-shoe, so by having the cactus V4 on the hot-shoe it seems like that won't work.

Lastolite Umbrella Box. Double diffusion (reflected, then diffused through a screen). Light better than many softboxes. $69 per umbrella.

dg28.com for lessons on how to use them. Superb combination of a umbrella's light weight, setup speed, and portability, with light that is more diffused than cheap softboxes. Steve Kaeser sells inexpensive knock-offs that are similar, but a couple notches lower in light quality.

Lastolite Umbrella Box. Double diffusion (reflected, then diffused through a screen). Light better than many softboxes. $69 per umbrella.

dg28.com for lessons on how to use them. Superb combination of a umbrella's light weight, setup speed, and portability, with light that is more diffused than cheap softboxes. Steve Kaeser sells inexpensive knock-offs that are similar, but a couple notches lower in light quality.

These look like an interesting option. I just got my Cactus triggers today and realized that they only have a little place to screw the receiver into a light stand... which looks like it would restrict using the standard "flash bracket adapter" thing. I don't really know my options yet but am looking into it. Do you think an SB-600 has enough power to use this outdoors in the day?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back