Night Club Entertainment

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I volunteered at the Night Club. I used speedlite with omni-bouce diffuser. C&C please. What can I do to improve the lighting and composition?

1 $_MG_4300.jpg

2$_MG_4400.jpg

3$_MG_4426.jpg

1.Improving light and composition ?
Far, far from being an expert on this matter, to me it sounds like you already do what you can do, to get best results in a place like a night club you need to use speedlight which you do.
Except that you need the best camera for low light and fastest lens so use a f1.4 or f1.8 prime lens and maybe rent a 6D

I think the fist 2 pictures are ok, good focus and nice composition, third picture is a bit soft.
Getting a better composition is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

These seem a little bit too hot, exposure wise. The second shot has a good interaction between the two girls, but the guy getting the neck-squeezing hug from his drunk GF in between them, in the background, kills the shot. The last one...that talllllll,skinny crop....not working well as shown. CROP OFF the bald, chrome-dome behind the girl on the left, and it helps a lot.

This is an entire genre of photography. I used to know a guy who did this stuff in the early digital era. It has its own 'rules', and there are several different styles, different ways to actually make the photos. You need to do it MORE to learn how. One night, or one weekend isn't going to show you much. Are you gonna do it all "candid", or are you going to pose and direct people? Do you really want the flash to "carry", as far as it did in shot #2? because with FAST shutter, that would be a black background shot, and the dude and drunk GF would be....not shown...but as-shot, the flash is carrying allll the way to the wall.

Are these horrible? No. Are they great? NO. These three shots are somewhere in betwen horrible and great.

I disagree, there are no redeeming qualities in any of them.

I have set the shutter speed to 125 and iso 400. Should I increase the speed to 250 and reduce iso to 100, or rent a 6D and faster lens entirely?

I don't get it. whats the point? The fun part is always watching the drunk people leaving at the end of the night and the parking lot outside after the bar closes anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back