Night Panoramic

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am wanting to do a night panoramic and just a regular day panoramic shot. I was wondering if there are any extra tips that I could get from you guys. For the night I know to shoot vertically, use a tripod, dial the ISO as far down as possible, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should think of. I was wondering if I should try to line up where one photo stops and the other begins exactly of will photoshop fix most of that stuff with photomerge? Thanks for any timps that you guys can offer.

One of the issues is the location of the moon. During the day, the whole process of taking a picture lasts a fraction of the second. At night, you need to set a several seconds or minutes exposure.

If there is a moon, it will burn the frame if you let it get into the frame. Therefore, if the moon is low in the horizon, for the panoramic set you will be forced to include the moon in the set, which will be catastrophic for a frame or two.

Therefore, before you start, make sure the moon is high up in the sky so that it will be out of the frames.

You do need to overlap the frames... though I'm not sure how much Photoshop needs. It's usually around 30 - 40% overlap. Also I'd imagine Photoshop wouldn't have trouble lining up the shots but you might want to include some defined landmarks as well instead of a shot of 100% stars. I don't know if it'd be an issue or not but might be worth considering.

I do a lot of panoramics and find you only need a slight overlap, I wold say 30-40% is a bit much photomerge does a good job of blendig the two pics together so you only need a bit of overlap. As for the ISO dont turn it up too high or you'll end up with a noisy picture I never go above 400. Lastly if you are doing a night shot and the moon is present make sure the moon is fully in one shot and not near the edges. As long as you dont try to blend two shots which both have the moon in them you will not run into many issues with the moon. Shooting vertically is definately the way yo go with any panoramic, not just nighttime shots.

SaSi said:
One of the issues is the location of the moon. During the day, the whole process of taking a picture lasts a fraction of the second. At night, you need to set a several seconds or minutes exposure.

If there is a moon, it will burn the frame if you let it get into the frame. Therefore, if the moon is low in the horizon, for the panoramic set you will be forced to include the moon in the set, which will be catastrophic for a frame or two.

Therefore, before you start, make sure the moon is high up in the sky so that it will be out of the frames.

a good way to deal with that is make sure the moon is only in one of the pics, and take a second exact picture with metering for the moon to do a HDR style layout combined with the panoramic. it will look amazing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back