Nikkor 35mm 1.8 G DX

I might just have to pre-order one of these for my Wifes Nikon
POTNwink.gif

This is great for D40, D40X, and D60 people, but for anyone with AF motors built in, not really that great. For a few dollars more you can get the 35mm f/2 which is better built, and will work when you move up to a FX body. I know, I know the focal view is different, but still... For $200 it might be something nice to play around with and keep on the backup body we'll see...

the 35mm f/2.0 is nearly twice as much!

I don't know, very good point for sure, and worth debating. . .apparently the optics are better on this new one, similar to how the new 50mm 1.4G is slightly sharper than the older one.

If the 35mm f/2.0 prices drop (for what reason, I don't know), and this lens stays at $199, it would be difficult to decide, but as of right now, the cheapest I can find a 35mm Nikkor is $349. . . so I guess it's 1.5X the price?. . .

Won't disagree though on the backup point. . .!

As a D40 user, I have to say that this is a really appealing lens to me...Now just to find out how much this is going to cost in Canada...

As a D40 user, I have to say that this is a really appealing lens to me...Now just to find out how much this is going to cost in Canada...

The better question would be how much can you get for your D40, and how much can you get a D90 for...:p

The better question would be how much can you get for your D40, and how much can you get a D90 for...:p
I'd agree with that, stop limiting what lens that you can fully use:sexywink:

Nice lens - it's on my list!

It is the opinion of my local Nikon dealer that Nikon is dividing their range, future crop sensor bodies will not have the focus motor built in. Most new lenses will be DX with the motor in the lens. Only full frame camera bodies will have focus motors built in.

I wonder how accurate his predictions are?

Quote: Originally Posted by jlykins

I'd agree with that, stop limiting what lens that you can fully use:sexywink:

nah, I just got my D40, and if you look at my lens choice below, you'll see I don't mind focusing manually :p Only thing where it doesn't come in too handy is sports, but buy this lens and I'd have a pretty good focal length for say basketball.

Nice lens - it's on my list!

It is the opinion of my local Nikon dealer that Nikon is dividing their range, future crop sensor bodies will not have the focus motor built in. Most new lenses will be DX with the motor in the lens. Only full frame camera bodies will have focus motors built in.

I wonder how accurate his predictions are?

Possibly, but I think what Nikon is looking at doing is only releasing new lenses which have an AF-S motor. I would say that you may be right though.

Most new lenses will be DX with the motor in the lens.
It's worth noting that that all DX lenses except for the DX fisheye are AF-S.

I'm pretty sure that Nikon does want to phase out their old AF system because many of their lenses are still decades behind Canon's in AF performance and ergonomics, but it will be quite a number of years before they can do it without ticking off a large portion of their professional user base.

Last edited:
Possibly, but I think what Nikon is looking at doing is only releasing new lenses which have an AF-S motor. I would say that you may be right though.

That's what I meant, blame a glass of wine or two on my terminology. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure that Nikon does want to phase out their old AF system because many of their lenses are still decades behind Canon's in AF performance and ergonomics, but it will be quite a number of years before they can do it without ticking off a large portion of their professional user base.
How would introducing newer, better, faster lenses annoy Nikon users? It seems to me that a Nikon user should enjoy new and improved lenses just as much as a Canon user or anyone else does.

How would introducing newer, better, faster lenses annoy Nikon users?
Because many Nikon users have AF-D type lenses whose optics are perfectly good and whose AF is perfectly acceptable for their use. It would be pretty annoying to have a large collection of AF-D lenses only to have their AF systems suddenly deprecated.

I really don't understand why they made it DX. should have been simply AF-S G.. it's not like the FX version would have a tighter field of view. a little silly, really. I'll take that all back if they announce the 35/1.4 AF-S G next week.

I really don't understand why they made it DX. should have been simply AF-S G.. it's not like the FX version would have a tighter field of view. a little silly, really. I'll take that all back if they announce the 35/1.4 AF-S G next week.
Not silly at all. As explained by Nikon themselves, making it a DX lens allows it to be smaller, lighter and cheaper. It's a lot more attractive to a lot more people at $200 than it would be at $1000.

I don't get what all this complaining about DX lenses is. APS-C is not leaving any time soon. In product line numbers (not production or sales numbers) 63% of Canon bodies are EF-S (Canon crop) and 66% of Nikon bodies are DX (Nikon crop). I'm positive that those percentages in production and sales numbers are even higher.

Full frame sensors are still shockingly expensive to make. At $200, I'll happily buy a lens to use for several years before I can even begin to contemplate a full-frame body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back