Nikkor 35mm AF-S F/1.8

Darkhunter139

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Amazon just got these back in stock and I am considering ordering one. Does anyone where actually use this lens? I know Ken Rockwell loves it but you never know when to trust what he says :lol:

I heard its a really nice lens but I cant see a $200 lens being as good as some of the more expensive lenses out there. I want a faster lens but I am not sure if I should go for this or wait and save up for something better. What do you think?

I've had for about 8 or 9 months and I love it. It is sharp and really doesn't have that much disctortion unless you are trying to use it as a macro. For $200 you can't go wrong.

For the money, you cannot beat it. Especially if you want a lens that will auto-focus on a D40.

I bought this lens as a Christmas present to myself. I love prime lenses. I had the 50mm 1.8 first. The 50mm gets a little tight when trying to take group shots, but takes very nice pics considering the price. The 35mm gives me just a little bit more room to work with and takes nice pics as well. I've taken a few shots with it and like what I see so far. Here's one of the shots I took with the 35mm in this thread I submitted for c & c.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/188174-ok-i-finally-got-nerve-c-c.html

i have one for about a week now
got it from amazon as well

tis really good and cheap and will af on your camera :D

I want to use it for outdoors stuff as well as indoor. I really cant make up my mind here!! I dont have any prime lenses and people seem to really like them.

I want to use it for outdoors stuff as well as indoor. I really cant make up my mind here!! I dont have any prime lenses and people seem to really like them.
The 35mm is good both in and out.

The lens focal length that most closely dupicates what your eye sees when it's not at the camera viewfinder is 50mm.

With crop sensor cameras, to get the equivelent field-of-view (FOV) you need a 35 mm lens. (35 x 1.5 crop factor = 52.5 mm).

A 50mm focal length lens, on a 1.5x crop camera, gives the equivelent FOV of 75mm.

An advantage of a normal prime lenses is speed, or wide apertures like f/1.8, f/1.4 or f/1.2.

I don't have the 1.8, but the 2.0. I think I would still go with what I have for the simple fact that I could shoot and adjust when in manual mode. The 1.8 G doesn't allow that option.

Well, I have the 35mm f/2 AF-D, the predecessor to the new 35mm 1.8 AF-S G,and I would say that the aperture difference between f/1.8 and f/3.5 makes a big difference in terms of acquiring focus indoors in poor light on the consumer-level bodies. F/1.8 is simply much more light coming in, and that makes the AF system work a slight bit better in poor light than what the 18-55 kit lens can do.

And you are right--the 35/1.8 is not as good as some of the more expensive lenses out there--it's a $199 economy prime lens. Still, it is quite good for the money, and the chromatic aberration issues the 35/1.8 has can be corrected in-software or right in the camera on the newer Nikon bodies. I've seen quite a few pics this lens has made, and really, it's not a "bad" lens, and it's not a "good lens", but it is a "very good" lens. It's just not an "excellent lens"; if you want a 35mm prime that qualifies as an "excellent lens" from Nikon, the 35mm f/1.4 AF-S G is expected in the later half of 2010, with an anticipated price of between $999 and $1,300.

Amazon just got these back in stock and I am considering ordering one. Does anyone where actually use this lens? I know Ken Rockwell loves it but you never know when to trust what he says :lol:

I heard its a really nice lens but I cant see a $200 lens being as good as some of the more expensive lenses out there. I want a faster lens but I am not sure if I should go for this or wait and save up for something better. What do you think?

I own this lens and it is a great lens. Awesome for just walking around and using as a general lens. It is also great for low light situations because it is 1.8 so it's pretty fast. Especially compared to the 3.5-5.6 of other lenses.

The reason it is so good but also only 200 is because it is a fixed focal length. It doesn't zoom and is constantly 1.8. So the glass is perfected and designed to be best at 35mm. Not 18-200mm you can't have great quality with a range like that or have a fast aperture(well you could but a huge lens probably.) That is why they don't have to use a lot of expensive things to make something like a 24-70 2.8.

It is a great lens and if you have the cash for it buy it! Great lens to slap on the camera and head out the door. The lens also has a rubber seal at the rear to prevent moisture from getting in. So if you're in a tough environment throw that lens on there and protect your body and you're good.
TJ

Well, I have the 35mm f/2 AF-D, the predecessor to the new 35mm 1.8 AF-S G,and I would say that the aperture difference between f/1.8 and f/3.5 makes a big difference in terms of acquiring focus indoors in poor light on the consumer-level bodies. F/1.8 is simply much more light coming in, and that makes the AF system work a slight bit better in poor light than what the 18-55 kit lens can do.

And you are right--the 35/1.8 is not as good as some of the more expensive lenses out there--it's a $199 economy prime lens. Still, it is quite good for the money, and the chromatic aberration issues the 35/1.8 has can be corrected in-software or right in the camera on the newer Nikon bodies. I've seen quite a few pics this lens has made, and really, it's not a "bad" lens, and it's not a "good lens", but it is a "very good" lens. It's just not an "excellent lens"; if you want a 35mm prime that qualifies as an "excellent lens" from Nikon, the 35mm f/1.4 AF-S G is expected in the later half of 2010, with an anticipated price of between $999 and $1,300.

Don't be pulling my leg now Derrel! :mrgreen:

Does everyone here shop on amazon? This is a good deal!
Smile.gif

Mostly adorama then amazon then bh

I decided not to get it. I want to save up for the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 as my real good lens. Maybe I will get this after.

Ya i have both of those lenses. The sigma is an amazing lens.
TJ

Most reactions

Back