Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, to get or not to get?

I only have the kit lens right now, 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR.

And I also believe that if you did go the 50 route, it would only work in manual focus on your 3000. I think you need to have a minimum of a D90 in order for it to AF.

I am not even considering the 50mm because of no auto focus. I was just saying that my d3000 is cropped and putting a 35mm on my camera is like using a 50mm. So i'm not too concerned about getting "too close for comfort" when taking shots of people

I only have the kit lens right now, 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR.

And I also believe that if you did go the 50 route, it would only work in manual focus on your 3000. I think you need to have a minimum of a D90 in order for it to AF.

I am not even considering the 50mm because of no auto focus. I was just saying that my d3000 is cropped and putting a 35mm on my camera is like using a 50mm. So i'm not too concerned about getting "too close for comfort" when taking shots of people

Actually, the 35mm 1.8 is designed for DX or crop sensors so 35mm is 35mm as it looks on your regular 18-55mm kit lens. The 50mm 1.8 is designed for FX, which is why on a DX its actually 75mm....I actually just bought the 35mm 1.8 three days ago, and I absolutely love it so far...

Actually, the 35mm 1.8 is designed for DX or crop sensors so 35mm is 35mm as it looks on your regular 18-55mm kit lens. The 50mm 1.8 is designed for FX, which is why on a DX its actually 75mm....I actually just bought the 35mm 1.8 three days ago, and I absolutely love it so far...

Not entirely sure I'm understanding you here, but even lenses specifically designed for use with DX bodies are still subject to the crop factor of 1.5x. A 35mm DX lens is still, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to a 52mm focal length on an FX body. But maybe I'm just mis-interpreting.

Oh, I was under the impression she thought that the 35mm lens was going to turn into a 50mm lens once she put it on her D3000, which would be false....I think....this crop factor stuff is way too confusing and easy to get scrambled up lol...

Only reason I thought that is because she said she doesnt think she'll have to get too close for comfort since she thinks her 35mm DX lens will be 50mm on her D3000, which I think would be false since the D3000 isnt FX...if that makes any sense lol...so in reality, she actually may have to get "too close for comfort"...

Last edited:
dont portrait lenses kinda start around the 85mm mark?
35 seems a bit wide, even on a crop.
i have the 50 on a crop and that brings it right to about 75, and i loves it.
save your $ and go for the 50.

Oh, I was under the impression she thought that the 35mm lens was going to turn into a 50mm lens once she put it on her D3000, which would be false....I think....this crop factor stuff is way too confusing and easy to get scrambled up lol...

Yeah... even DX lenses still have a field-of-view that is 1.5x longer than the focal length of the lens... thus a 35mm DX lens is equivalent, roughly, to a 52mm FX lens. The DX is only different in that it casts a smaller image circle. The DX lenses, therefore, can be made lighter... they also usually incorporate a focusing motor for DX bodies that lack built-in motors. But they are still subject to the 1.5x crop ratio.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-1-4G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001GCVA0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283370075&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Save up and get this lens. If you can't then settle for the 35mm which is also good. Like people said, 35mm will be better indoor since it's wider and sometimes you can't step back to take photos. But 50mm is a little more ideals for portraits and you won't be in their face. Make people are little more comfortable. That and the fact that this lens is f/1.4 which is faster. :thumbup:

For $195 it a nice lens and is very sharp. Slow focus compared to the 50 f/1.8, but then the 50 won't AF on the D3000 so ...

I would not say this lens has great bokeh. You will need to pick your backgrounds carefully. It also suffers from significant longitudinal CA (purple fringing) which will only be a problem from f/1.8 to about f/3.5. But this is true for many fast prime lenses when wide open.

You won't be wasting $195 if you buy it.

I love my 35mmf1.8 lens!!! Especially at night in a city.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back