Nikkor 85mm 1.8 non d

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want a nikkor 85mm 1.8. My friend is selling a 85mm 1.8 NON-D version for $300. Firstly, is that a good price? Brand new d version is 380.... Secondly, what's the difference between the D and non D versions of this lens? I heard something about bad results with flash and the non d but info wasn't specific..

Hmmmm.. I bought an 85mmf/1.8 AF, non-D for $175,used, back in 2001...I think $300 for that lens is wayyyy too high considering the price of a brand new, D-series model with a FIVE-YEAR Nikon USA warranty. THe D-series lenses communicate Distance information to the camera and the flash metering systems, which can help at times. Without a D-series lens, the Nikon 3-D Matrix light metering is not active...in practice, sometimes this makes a difference, while under many other situations, it's hard to see a difference.

There are some Ken Rockwell examples of D versus non-D using flash examples if yuo want to dig around and read/see "his" opinions on the matter.

so it boils down to, $300 for good condition but used non D lens with caps but no hood and no warranty. or $370 brand new D version, no warranty. or $429 brand new with 5 year nikon warranty

so it boils down to, $300 for good condition but used non D lens with caps but no hood and no warranty. or $370 brand new D version, no warranty. or $429 brand new with 5 year nikon warranty
How can a brand new D version not have any warranty? If someone else owned it before you, it's not brand new - it's used.
As a side note Nikon's warranty only ever applies to the original owner, and buying extended warranties is, in the long run, a huge waste of money.

How can a brand new D version not have any warranty? If someone else owned it before you, it's not brand new - it's used.
As a side note Nikon's warranty only ever applies to the original owner, and buying extended warranties is, in the long run, a huge waste of money.

well B and H had one for $380 brand new IMPORTED and one for $430 USA
i asked them what it means they said the imported one is grey market and is never used but does not have manufacturer's warranty, only a B and H 1 year warranty. the $430 one has 5 year nikon warranty.
do you think i can find somewhere one for $380 with nikon warranty?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back