Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm notch missing allowing mount damage

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can anyone explain why there's a mechanical stop missing from the Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm G ED? A picture showing the lens against a Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED G, MicroNikkor 105mm AF f/2.8D, and a Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4D is shown below.

The 14-24mm is missing a small mechanical stop. This allows you to turn the lens past the white dot on the camera when unscrewing and continue rotating causing another part of the F-mount to cut in right above the electrical contacts for the lens. The lens works just fine but I can see long term if I'm not careful the electrical contacts will likely fail.

Anyone know the reason for this or can give examples of other lenses missing these stops?

DSC_5515_zps7159f926.jpg

Odd - I haven't used one in a while (and don't have one in my bag at the moment), but I don't remember being able to rotate it farther than normal when mounting it.

Are you sure that's the reason the lens turns so far? I have several lenses that don't have such a part, and I don't have an issue with any of them turning to far.

Are you sure that's the reason the lens turns so far? I have several lenses that don't have such a part, and I don't have an issue with any of them turning to far.

I was 100% certain. Until I read your post and now I'm 100% wrong. Well done sparky

Right underneath that tab I blamed is an M0.8 screw which sits proud into the mount and hits one of the three overhanging pieces in the F-mount. The screw is missing from my lens.

Since you mentioned you have others like that do you mind sharing which ones? I'm interested now what that tab does.

...........Since you mentioned you have others like that do you mind sharing which ones? ........

They're mostly my old glass... the mirror 500mm & 600, my Ai lenses...

.......... I'm interested now what that tab does.

Whatever it does, it doesn't do anything to any of my cameras. It ends up in about the 5:00 position of the body's mount as you look at the front of the camera. My Kenko extension tubes have a spring-loaded tab that engage it, but there's nothing the the bodies I have that appear to do anything with the tab on the tube.

Perhaps some sort of backward adoption for older bodies?

Last edited:
Thanks.

My google-fu did well today. The notch is the lens speed indexing post. It tells AI cameras what the maximum lens speed is. Thus the notch isn't actually needed on G series Nikkors as they can't couple to AI cameras anyway. There's no aperture control.

I was 100% certain. Until I read your post and now I'm 100% wrong. Well done sparky

Right underneath that tab I blamed is an M0.8 screw which sits proud into the mount and hits one of the three overhanging pieces in the F-mount. The screw is missing from my lens.

Since you mentioned you have others like that do you mind sharing which ones? I'm interested now what that tab does.
Those have a tendency to fall out. We've replaced dozens in the rental house.

Not surprised. The thread engagement is horrible, about 4 threads deep. I pinched the screw from another lens I haven't used in months.

Not surprised. The thread engagement is horrible, about 4 threads deep. I pinched the screw from another lens I haven't used in months.
It's a surprisingly shoddy design...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back