Nikkor Ai-s F2.8 20mm... What should I do with it?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
The rear element of my Ais F2.0 20mm is in quite a bad shape. Looks like the coating is badly worn off. I checked with two places and both said they can't find a replacement part because the lens is old.

I found another F2.8 20mm online and bought a replacement. Now I have this not so perfect lens that I don't know what to do with.

I am thinking about two options:

1. Sell it as-is for parts and see how much I can fetch for it.
2. Keep it until I can find another as-is to replace this rear element.

I've had this lens for a long time, which was passed down from my dad. It's a great lens and I love it, that's why I didn't hesitate to get a replacement.

Here's the rear element damage.
DSC00330_1.jpg

Here's the front, which is in excellent condition. I always use UV filter to protect the front element.
DSC00331_1.jpg

The lens works fine mechanically other than the damage rear element, which creates blurry/soft images.

Here's what it looks like now:
Untitled-310.jpg

Untitled-313.jpg

Here's how it was at its prime:
FL020002.jpg

juan058-R3-023-10.jpg

You call that bad shape? The resulting images still look perfectly reasonable for a lens from it's era. I'd keep it. Have a look at how much the new f/1.4G 20mm costs and you'll realise why.

Unless you never use it I think it's one of those lenses that unless you have a replacement for it already is worth keeping in your kit.

The images look a lot softer at full resolution. It's quite painful to look at them because they make you feel like you just woke up and still struggling to see things in focus.

Well that would depend on your scanning resolution now wouldn't it :) How do the images look when viewed in a way so the entire image fits on your monitor is the question.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back