Nikon 12-24mm DX or 14-24 FX?

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm finally got look into a wide-angle lens because I'm sick of my 18-135's nasty lens flare, distortion, and weak corners at 18mm. Well, at any focal length on that lens really. Now, do I got with Nikon's DX format 12-24mm f/4? Or do I go with the new 14-24 FX format f/2.8. I have a D300, so that's a DX format camera, but after I use this one for a couple years I intend on going full-frame. But that's not absolutely guaranteed. So, do I go with the lens I get the best use of for a couple years, or do I go with the lens that I will get the best use of in a couple years and for the rest of my life?

Before you decide, I advise you to actually see one of those 14-24's in person... those things are BEASTS... I mean HUGE. Also, you can't use filters on it, at all.

Personally, I am not a big fan of DX lenses, with Moving into the FX realm, but I wouldn't be buying a 14-24 unless I had a D3 to put it on...

Before you decide, I advise you to actually see one of those 14-24's in person... those things are BEASTS... I mean HUGE. Also, you can't use filters on it, at all.

Personally, I am not a big fan of DX lenses, with Moving into the FX realm, but I wouldn't be buying a 14-24 unless I had a D3 to put it on...

Yeah, I've heard they're pretty huge, the 14-24s that is. And the non-filter thing is sort of a bummer, but I just don't really want to use a DX lens, because I plan on moving to an FX sensor next time I upgrade bodies, and I want a lens that will be great with that. How about the 17-35?

theres always the sigma 10-20. it rocks

I own a Tokina 12-24 and I have a slim uv-filter on it, works fine...

I guess if you feel that the fact that you maybe are getting an FX camera in the future justifies the extra $900 for the 14-24, then go ahead.

On the other hand, the 12-24 will give you 2mm extra at the wide end, and with the new 14-24 out, a lot of people will be upgrading, so you could probably get a used one for a nice price.

Unless the 2.8 is crucial or you know that you will be upgrading to a D3 soon, I think I would go for the 12-24 and spend the extra grand on something else...

I guess if you feel that the fact that you maybe are getting an FX camera in the future justifies the extra $900 for the 14-24, then go ahead.

On the other hand, the 12-24 will give you 2mm extra at the wide end, and with the new 14-24 out, a lot of people will be upgrading, so you could probably get a used one for a nice price.

Unless the 2.8 is crucial or you know that you will be upgrading to a D3 soon, I think I would go for the 12-24 and spend the extra grand on something else...

Maybe put it towards that nice new 24-70 f/2.8...hmm....

Anything with AF-S or AF-I in the name works with a D40.

that's what I figured, but all this talk of FX and DX sensors has me whiggin'. . . .

Most reactions

Back