Nikon 200mm-400mm F4

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by photo61, Feb 11, 2017.

  1. photo61

    photo61 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2015
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    8
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Would anyone like to speculate if Nikon will redesign their 200-400mm F4 lens so its tac sharp across the focal range?
    It's known to be soft,


     
  2. table1349

    table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2006
    Messages:
    0
    Likes Received:
    4
    Well if you are expecting a zoom lens to be tack sharp across the focal range then sweet dreams. Zooms are always a compromise to one degree or another, usually based on quality and length of focal range covered.
     
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. photo61

    photo61 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2015
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    8
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your correct, I'd like it to be quite a bit sharper than it is especially at this price point
     
  4. Derrel

    Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Messages:
    48,229
    Likes Received:
    18,867
    Location:
    USA
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  5. photo61

    photo61 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2015
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    8
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. MSnowy

    MSnowy TPF Supporters Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Messages:
    5,265
    Likes Received:
    4,005
    Location:
    Scituate, MA.
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    @photo61 do you own one?
    It's an excellent lens for sports.
     
  7. photo61

    photo61 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2015
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    8
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    No I know someone who is selling one used, I was told by a couple different photographers that it is very soft, to soft for its price point as a pro level lens. I would use it for wildlife (birds flight) Right now I hand hold a Nikon 500mm F4 VR2 85 percent of the time and use a mono/tripod the other 15 percent the 200-400 would be a little easier to hand hold but I don't want to sacrifice to much sharpness or I would be better off with the new Tamron 150-600 G2
     
  8. MSnowy

    MSnowy TPF Supporters Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Messages:
    5,265
    Likes Received:
    4,005
    Location:
    Scituate, MA.
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit


    I also have the 500mm which I also hand hold a lot. The original 200mm-400mm is not a light lens by any means. I bring my 70mm-200 and 1.4tc with me for anything closer than the 500mm. I would skip the 200mm-400mm for wildlife and go with the Tamron if your looking for something lighter than the your 500mm. I've never used the Tamron 150mm-600mmG2 so I'm not sure how it fast it will focus compared to your 500mm. I know the older version of the Tamron 150mm-600mm doesn't even compare in image quality or focusing to the 500mm
     

Share This Page