Nikon 200mm-400mm F4

photo61

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.canosaphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Would anyone like to speculate if Nikon will redesign their 200-400mm F4 lens so its tac sharp across the focal range?
It's known to be soft,

Well if you are expecting a zoom lens to be tack sharp across the focal range then sweet dreams. Zooms are always a compromise to one degree or another, usually based on quality and length of focal range covered.

Well if you are expecting a zoom lens to be tack sharp across the focal range then sweet dreams. Zooms are always a compromise to one degree or another, usually based on quality and length of focal range covered.
Your correct, I'd like it to be quite a bit sharper than it is especially at this price point

@photo61 do you own one?
It's an excellent lens for sports.

@photo61 do you own one?
No I know someone who is selling one used, I was told by a couple different photographers that it is very soft, to soft for its price point as a pro level lens. I would use it for wildlife (birds flight) Right now I hand hold a Nikon 500mm F4 VR2 85 percent of the time and use a mono/tripod the other 15 percent the 200-400 would be a little easier to hand hold but I don't want to sacrifice to much sharpness or I would be better off with the new Tamron 150-600 G2

@photo61 do you own one?
No I know someone who is selling one used, I was told by a couple different photographers that it is very soft, to soft for its price point as a pro level lens. I would use it for wildlife (birds flight) Right now I hand hold a Nikon 500mm F4 VR2 85 percent of the time and use a mono/tripod the other 15 percent the 200-400 would be a little easier to hand hold but I don't want to sacrifice to much sharpness or I would be better off with the new Tamron 150-600 G2

I also have the 500mm which I also hand hold a lot. The original 200mm-400mm is not a light lens by any means. I bring my 70mm-200 and 1.4tc with me for anything closer than the 500mm. I would skip the 200mm-400mm for wildlife and go with the Tamron if your looking for something lighter than the your 500mm. I've never used the Tamron 150mm-600mmG2 so I'm not sure how it fast it will focus compared to your 500mm. I know the older version of the Tamron 150mm-600mm doesn't even compare in image quality or focusing to the 500mm

Most reactions

Back