Well, if you want to go wider in an affordable prime lens, the 24mm f/2.8 AF-D is currently the prime lens Nikon has to offer. It's a pretty good lens, the 24mm, but it has a couple of quirks. One is that it has more focus shift than you might expect, so when you stop it down in really,really critical situations you want to make sure the focus is good. At first I was thinking the problem was me, but then I started checking into it, and the design is known for having some focus shift as the lens is stopped down. It is also not a "great 24mm lens".
The thing is this--the "old" Nikon 24mm f/2.8 Ai-S was, truly, a "great" 24mm lens, but the cost of producing it was very high,and it still sells at a high price used, and by the time AF hit, Nikon waited about six years before making an autofocus 24mm...this lens came out in 1993 and it is not/was not a "full bore" design like the 24 Ai-S was, which was a refinement of over two decades' worth of 24mm lens designs and the absolute crowing jewel of their Close Range Correction triumph.
Right now, the 24/2.8 AF-D is a seventeen year old lens model, unchanged since its introduction. It is light, small, 9 elements in 9 groups, and has the CRC floating element design that gives better flatness of field at close range, and while it's a good lens, I reach for my 17-35, or my 24 Ai-S if I need a 24mm lens for slow,static work. I personally like the 24mm a tad bit better than the 35/2 AF-D on a crop-bodied Nikon, but only because I like the wider angle of view. The 35 focuses a bit more decisively than the 24mm, due to longer FL and wider aperture. I don't think you'd find the 24 to be a "dog" by any means, but it does show some CA and it's a little bit less-sharp than the 35 AF-D. Not by a lot, just a little bit.
I cannot focus the 24mm Ai-S in low light accurately enough, so I bought the 24/2.8 AF-D in the early 2000's. Its best asset is small size and affordability, but I actually kind of replaced it with the 20/2.8 AF-D which I think is a better performer in most respects. Also--Nikon wants you to buy $1700 zoom lenses to get these focal lengths!