Nikon 40mm f/2.8 Micro Lens - with sample pictures

hashemi111

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

If you're reading this, you have a Nikon D5100 or D3100 and have been thinking of getting the new 40mm macro lens. Nikon calls this the AF-S Micro Nikkor 40mm 1:2.8G. I have it and I couldn't do a lot of what I do without it. The kit lens that came with my D5100 and the 35mm 1.8 don't have the close focus range of this 40mm 2.8 macro / micro. With this lens, I'm able to take pictures of my subjects extremely close up with amazing focus. All my product photography is done with this lens.

The pictures of my D5100 are taken with my Nikon S8100 point and shoot. The pics of the 40mm lens are taken with my 35mm f/1.8 lens on my D5100. All other pictures are taken with my D5100 with the 40mm f/2.8 Micro/Macro lens.

Last edited:
Good write-up, but you kind of told us what Nikon tells us. Do you have any comments on the sharpness, depth of field, distortion or using this lens in the field at all?

Thanks cbrown. The sharpness on this lens is is better than my 35mm f/1.8. Since the depth of focus is super thin, I find myself doing a lot of manual focusing. I have taken a few landscape and street shots and the distortion is almost non-existent for me. Maybe I'm not pushing it far enough to test the distortion, i dunno. As far as in the field, I will say that although it's in my camera bag that I take with me everywhere I go, I rarely find myself reaching for it. I pretty much only use it for photos of items I am super close up to. My 35mm f/1.8, on the other hand, almost never comes off my D5100. Click here to read my write-up on my 35mm.

I'm wondering why you singled out the D3100 and the D5100? Is it due to the lack of internal focusing motor. There are plenty of other bodies in the Nikon DX family that this lens should work great with ...unless you have another macro lens recommendation for DX camears with focus motors.

I thought of buying this lens though I'm concerned that 40mm is simply not long enough for macro but perhaps it's fine for what you do.

I singled them out because most people that have a D3100 and D5100 look to DX lenses.

If you're looking to get really close to your subject and want to be in perfect focus, this is the lens, hands down, no questions asked. Why, because it's inexpensive, super light weight and you can almost touch your subject with the glass and be in focus.:lol:

ph0enix said:
I'm wondering why you singled out the D3100 and the D5100? Is it due to the lack of internal focusing motor. There are plenty of other bodies in the Nikon DX family that this lens should work great with ...unless you have another macro lens recommendation for DX camears with focus motors.

I thought of buying this lens though I'm concerned that 40mm is simply not long enough for macro but perhaps it's fine for what you do.

It isn't long enough. You have to get so close to get 1:1 magnification that it's hard not to put the subject in your shadow. I mean you have to get super super close to get true macro.

It's not a bad lens by any means but its not IMO a good macro lens for insects or anything of that nature. I bought it for newborn macro and am planning on upgrading to something with a longer focal length.

I singled them out because most people that have a D3100 and D5100 look to DX lenses.

That's probably true but likely most people using the following cameras would also be mainly interested in DX lenses:

D7000
D300s
D3000
D5000
D90
D60
D300
D200
D80
D70
D50
D40
D2Xs
D2X
D2H
D2Hs
D100
D1X
D1H
D1

ph0enix said:

It isn't long enough. You have to get so close to get 1:1 magnification that it's hard not to put the subject in your shadow. I mean you have to get super super close to get true macro.

It's not a bad lens by any means but its not IMO a good macro lens for insects or anything of that nature. I bought it for newborn macro and am planning on upgrading to something with a longer focal length.

I'd second that viewpoint strongly, I've a 35mm macro myself; great lens for close up and general shooting, but if you want it at 1:1 its actually very difficult to light. You really are right on top and will be shadowing your subject considerably. It's not impossible to work with, but you'd be saving yourself a lot of pain with a 60mm macro and a 90/100mm would reflect a better starting point.

For close up work indoors though, short macro lenses can be great, not forcing you to always be backing up so far from the table.

Most reactions

Back