Nikon 50 mm. 1.8

When people rave about the "nifty fifty" it is generally the Canon 1.8 they are talking about. It is a fantastic lens for the money.

The Nikon 1.8 (which I own) isn't nearly as sharp as the Canon (which I have used) until you stop it down to f/5.6... and stopping it down to f/5.6 kind of defeats the whole purpose of this lens, doesn't it?

It would seem to defeat the purpose....unless your purpose is the sharpest images possible for the least amount of money. A 50mm f1.8 is obviously worlds better stopped down to f5.6 than a kit lens wide open at f5.6 so it's still not a completely defeated purpose. Even comparing both wide open, the Nikon 50mm f1.8 blows the kit lens out of the water from my experiences. (This is counting sharpness, contrast, and colors).

When people rave about the nifty fifty they are rarely talking about using it wide open, where both canon and Nikon variants lack severely in sharpness at anything apart from the dead centre of the frame, and the Nikons lack even more in contrast and CA.

I bought a Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 for the express purpose of using around f/1.8 to combat this issue. Not to say it's a crap lens, it's just way overdue for a redesign.

It's a 30 year old design, that's what's wrong with it.
So? Optically, nothing has really changed for even more years. I'm using a 30-something-year-old Series E f/1.8 and it's the most optically-perfect lens I own.

I'm picking up a used Nikon 50mm f/1.4 manual focus for $100 and its going on my D300.

Craigslist is your friend:D

Isn't this what you are looking for?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219965889&sr=8-7[/ame]

That is the lens, but it won't autofocus on a Nikon D40 or D60 until they come out with a new version that has the motor in the lens.

That is the lens, but it won't autofocus on a Nikon D40 or D60 until they come out with a new version that has the motor in the lens.
They just did:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0018ZDGAW/[/ame]
:wink:

P.S.:
Does the AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED have a wide enough aperture for your needs? It's the only non-telephoto AF-S prime lens that Nikon offers.

Last edited:
No, he was referring to a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 with AF-S. The current Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF is an optically-great lens for the bargain price of around $100. I'd like to see an AF-S version for around $200, but I don't really expect Nikon to even make one, because:

- 50mm is short enough that screwdriver AF motors don't have a problem focusing it quickly
- Nikon doesn't really expect base-model camera users (D40[x]/60) to buy a prime lens

I spent $30 for an old manual 50mm f/1.8 instead, and, apparently, it's still better-built than the current f/1.8 AF (there's a reason it's lasted for decades with barely a scuff-mark) which is said to be plasticky with an underdampened focus ring.

To the OP: what do you plan to use the lens for?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back