Nikon 50mm 1.4G limitations?

Here is the photo.

$image-170614823.jpg

I didn't read all this as there is blah and blah...etc.

"sharp" has soo many factors I'm almost to the point where I don't even wanna talk about it to people anymore, lol.

I will say this, the 50mm 1.4 is awesome. If you are not getting good clear sharp images, then you are doing something wrong. It is not the lens. The lens is a fantastic lens. You can get nice sharp images wide open...if you do it right, but it's a bit tough. Not many shoot wide open anyway. So many think just cause they got a 1.4 or 2.8 lens they should shoot at that ap'ture. Just not the case. Some of my best shots with the 50mm 1.4 were at 2.2 with great lighting.

anyway, probly said some redundant things, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

that pic is not a good display of that lenses ability at all. You have lots of blurr, probly motion blur as well, totally wrong time of day, super harsh sun....maybe even was windy. just a bad setup and shot.

I didn't look at the picture but how are you focusing? With wide open apertures like f/1.4-2.8 you have to nail the focus to get a sharp image. Are you using a single focal point? Or is the camera choosing the focus points?

My guess would be AF-A I can't see one single point that is in focus more than the others...or kinda in focus in the image...its all oof the same aside from background obviously...which would lead me to believe its not AF-S

Ernicus said:
My guess would be AF-A I can't see one single point that is in focus more than the others...or kinda in focus in the image...its all oof the same aside from background obviously...which would lead me to believe its not AF-S

AF-A isn't too bad as long as you have it set to single focal point and not auto area mode (think that's what it's called). Af-a just switches between af-c and af-s - so you are still leaving some of the decision making up to the camera. But if the focus mode is on auto area (or whatever it's called) then the camera is going to choose what to focus on and use a bunch of focal points around the "subject" to hopefully get the right thing in focus <---- this will never work with a shallow depth of field.

well yeah, but I don't see the point of using spot focus with af-a , but yea the main issue is using the spot focus vs the multi focal points. just easier to say af-a/af-s I assume they'd know af-s is, or should be, synonymous with single point focus.

Ernicus said:
that pic is not a good display of that lenses ability at all. You have lots of blurr, probly motion blur as well, totally wrong time of day, super harsh sun....maybe even was windy. just a bad setup and shot.

I was shooting using AF with only one focus point. I thought that by having a SP of 100 or higher( in photo 125) that nothing will be blurry...anyway the sun was pretty strong, but I really liked the shoot. It was taken in the woods and only a burst of sun light was hitting the flower so I thought this will make a nice shoot.

It wasn't until I got home that I noticed it very blurry and nothing really in focus, but maybe down by the leaves, but either way I wasn't focusing there. And you are right it could have been a breeze of wind coming in too. Again thinking SP of 125 would be fine.

What kind of photo should I upload for best visual samples? It seems like this flower one didn't work? I was very clear about my focusing/ sharp issues not so much the location,subject, setup...

Hey i know a wedding photographer who shoots all primes and wide open as a rule
icononethumbup.gif

shutter speed of 125 ish does not guarantee anything except that the shutter will fire off at a speed of 1/125th of a second. ;-)

2WheelPhoto said:
Hey i know a wedding photographer who shoots all primes and wide open as a rule

What do you mean?

he means shooting wide open on primes can still give you sharp images.

almost a must at some weddings as the lighting is terrible.

Ernicus said:

Thank you. I think my biggest problem is the lack of practice. I'm in school, but honestly I don't know if the teachers are all on the same page, but when I ask them questions they either say one thing or another, never an accurate yes or no. I guess they want me to figure it by actually practicing and using my gear.

I thought I had all my technical aspect covered, but we learn as we go.

Posting an image at 800 pixels wide is not a ood way to find focus issues.
Post either a full resolution image somewhere with a link to it or post a 100% crop.
AND post the EXIF

Ernicus said:

Thank you. I think my biggest problem is the lack of practice. I'm in school, but honestly I don't know if the teachers are all on the same page, but when I ask them questions they either say one thing or another, never an accurate yes or no. I guess they want me to figure it by actually practicing and using my gear.

I thought I had all my technical aspect covered, but we learn as we go.

Just gotta shoot and practice as ya said. Only way to get better. If it were simply to do what teacher A said...then you succeed...everyone would do it. Take the learned stuff, mix with the practice and 5K shots later ya might get it figured out. lol. shoot shoot shoot....apply different techniques and settings...and you'll learn more than any teacher can tell you.

Most reactions

Back