NIKON 50mm F1.8 is it worth buying ?

Novaman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As a Newbie , I am working with my D90 but want to buy a 50mm lens .

Is a Nikon AL-S 50mm f1.8 Series E Prime Lens ..worht buying ??

a) Will fit my camera

b) Will it function properly

Sorry I know little about lenses or the camera for that matter still taking those "dreaded baby steps "

Regards

As a Newbie , I am working with my D90 but want to buy a 50mm lens .

Is a Nikon AL-S 50mm f1.8 Series E Prime Lens ..worht buying ??

a) Will fit my camera

b) Will it function properly

Sorry I know little about lenses or the camera for that matter still taking those "dreaded baby steps "

Regards

That's "AIS" not AL-S. It's an old manual focus lens, with optics on par with the current 50mm f1.8 af-d.

It will work on your camera, but you won't get metering information on a d90, only the higher end nikons meter with these older lenses. And of course, it won't autofocus.

You'll have to shoot in "M" mode and guess/check the exposure.

These lenses only cost around $40, and are a great deal for those with bodies that support metering, but since yours doesn't you might be better off with the 50mm f1.8 af-d, which is basically the same lens but with autofocus, and all the other modern features. These cost around $90 used, or $140 new.

I would opt for the 50mm 1.8 af-d. Simply due to the fact that it costs around $100.00, reading reviews it's the best for the price, and then also it will AF on your D90 so. What do you have to lose?

Would recommend starting with the 50mm f1.8 AF-D version first. As mentioned the Ai-S or Ai version are full manual exposure and no AF or metering. Have to guess-a-mate exposure.

I bought the 100 version and used it on the last set of photos I posted. Its a great little lens for the price.

do you want the 50mm that is an FX lens. you might want 35mm equivalent to get you to 53mm?

Thanks I will hunt down a 50mm 1.8 ad .

Yes it will fit but will be a full manual lens. Why not spend $100-$120 and buy the 50mm f/1.8D that will auto focus because the D-90 does have an internal motor that will auto focus the lens. I have one and it produces sharp images!

It's a cheap piece of plastic junk and is only sharp when stopped down to 2.2. Save up and get any of the following instead:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DX
Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I had the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and the Nikkor 35 1.8 and got rid of them both in favor of the Sigma 50mm and 30mm 1.4 primes.

50mm 1.4 is much more worth to have it

I have both the 50 and 35 1.8.
I like the 35 a bit more, but it costs around $200.

I just got the 1.8d af lens. The price wasn't bad, 100 new. But, wondering if I should have gotten the 1.4 lens? Even if it was a manual? Maybe more expensive though. Is the 35mm sharper or? I don't know much about lenses really. There are so many of them!

I just got a mint condition 50mm 1.8 AF (older version made in Japan) with filter, hood and cap for 90$ and I'm extremely happy with it. I would not buy a AIS prime lens...

I even tested against the 50mm D and could not tell whats the difference besides old and new...

Last edited:
I just got a mint condition 50mm 1.8 AF (older version made in Japan) with filter, hood and cap for 90$ and I'm extremely happy with it. I would not buy a AIS prime lens...

I even tested against the 50mm D and could not tell whats the difference besides old and new...

Lol, older versions are made in japan, newer ones are made in Thailand. I'd rather have the Japanese version.

The 50mm 1.8 D is probably the best piece of plastic junk you can invest 100 $ on.

if you have the money the 85mm is also something you can look at.

Most reactions

Back