Nikon 50mm f1.8

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ordered this lens last nite and had a few newb-esque questions about it that I don't feel like waiting for the manual to get answered. :wink:

Here's a link so you can see what I'm looking at.

My questions are mainly about the markings on the side of the camera. The F stops are listed out and it looks like I'd need to dial in the number I'd want. Would I set the Fstop on the lens instead of in the camera?

Also the 22, 11, 11, 22 numbers... what are those for?

The numbers on top look like distance to the subject (feet and meters) but again I guess I'm wondering what the purpose of it would be. For focusing? It's automatic so I wouldn't think I need that but... who knows.

Lastly... I know the F1.8 will make it work well in low light. Does anyone have any example of how "low light" it can go without using a flash / noticing blur? I'm not expecting to use it total darkness or anything but I'm thinking with a higher ISO and F1.8 I should be able to get sharp shots indoors without a flash.

Thanks!

Your signature says you shoot a D50, with that camera you have to set the aperture in the camera, the aperture must be locked at f/22 on the lens.
The other numbers you mention are used along with the distance markings to figure out DOF/hyperfocal distance. Check this out: http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html
The 50mm f/1.8 is a super lens and dirt cheap.

Cool... thanks DSP. Yeah I'm definitely still learning the details of photography but I'd like to think I know enough that it's a worthwhile purchase. Plus like you said... cheap is good.

Thanks for the info.

rmh159 said:
Cool... thanks DSP. Yeah I'm definitely still learning the details of photography but I'd like to think I know enough that it's a worthwhile purchase. Plus like you said... cheap is good.

Thanks for the info.

No problem. The 50mm is a great purchase, you'll love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back