Nikon 50mm help

Ronaldo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So the choice of Nikon 50mm lenses is long - - and confusing.

I'm looking for one that can work as a "portrait lens" on my D90, and then as a basic 50mm when I upgrade to FF. Iwill use this lens a lot (and will use meet feet to zoom in and out :).

Quite frankly, I find all the Nikon lens suffixes not all that clear - - and couldn't find a detailed description on their website.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed down to the two "AF-S" lenses: the 1.8 and the 1.4.

Not that anyone can truly answer this question for me, but if I do have the budget is the 1.4 that much more versatile/better, etc? Or should I apply that price difference to maybe something like the 105 Micro?

Just looking for general thoughts here, anything to help me make the decision. Like everyone, I'd like the extra light-gather of the 1.4, but from what I understand the 1.8 has better quality bokeh - - which is also important. Is the 1.4 more of a specialty lens and the 1.8 would be fine? Or would the 1.4 be the better overall lens, almost regardless?

thanks

I have the Nikon af-s 50 1.4 and I'm happy with it but....
From what people here have said:
The sigma 50mm 1.4 has better bokeh
The Nikon 1.8 is snappier when it comes to focusing and I think someone said its sharper.....

If its in the budget for a 50mm 1.4, save a liiiittle bit more and get the new 85mm 1.8G :D

If its in the budget for a 50mm 1.4, save a liiiittle bit more and get the new 85mm 1.8G :D

I'd go with this. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it's almost too wide for portraits. If you have the money and are going to use this as a portrait lens, get the 85mm f/1.8

I'd go with this. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it's almost too wide for portraits. If you have the money and are going to use this as a portrait lens, get the 85mm f/1.8

Definitely true on an FX body. On a DX body, I'll try to take quick shots of my friends sitting beside me and won't be able to fit them into the frame.

My full frame 50mm works great in the studio except it only goes to F16 heh, I still back up away from the white floor for a full body shot, can get about 2 feet for a face/makeup shot. Tonight's models had on great smelling perfume so that wasn't an issue

The new 50mm f1.8G is a newer design then the 1.4G, which makes it sharper with better contrast and less CA at wide apertures. The 1.4G is an inferior lens IMO, even though it's significantly more expensive.

You're camera is also compatible with the AF-D incarnations of this lens, which may save you a lot of $$. Focus speed on these lenses is great even without the lens motor.

The new 50mm f1.8G is a newer design then the 1.4G, which makes it sharper with better contrast and less CA at wide apertures. The 1.4G is an inferior lens IMO, even though it's significantly more expensive.

You're camera is also compatible with the AF-D incarnations of this lens, which may save you a lot of $$. Focus speed on these lenses is great even without the lens motor.

Thanks -- I was wondering that.

Do you give up anything with an AF-D lens from an AF-S? (I still haven't found a great source for explaining all those Nikon lens sufix-codes.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back