Nikon 70-300mm lens question:

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple of years ago I bought a 70-300 mm 1:4-5.6 G lens from Cameta Camera for $69.00. It does not have VR or manual or AF settings. Used it successfully on the Nikon D3200 and it was all manual. Have also used it on the Nikon D610 and it works just fine. I even use it for night photography on the D610.

My question is this: Is this lens a DX lens or an old film camera lens? It doesn't give any information on the lens.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Looks like it was designed for FX, but will work on DX.

Looks like it was designed for FX, but will work on DX.

I think you are right. It seems to work well with the Nikon D610. I have even used it for night skyscraper photography and I'm impressed with the results. For $69.00 I think I hit the jackpot.

It is an FX lens...low-cost, it was one of the first G-series lenses offered. I used to own one around 2002. It might indeed have been a film-era lens from the end of the film era.

This is the only G-series Nikkor that i know which focused by screw-drive.

I think you are right. It seems to work well with the Nikon D610. I have even used it for night skyscraper photography and I'm impressed with the results. For $69.00 I think I hit the jackpot.

As long as you are happy with the results....that's what counts.

The D610 is not super-crtical about lenses used on it...making it a simply splendid FX camera for using with a wide variety of vintage glass.

The D610 also has an in-body focusing motor, which gives you automatic focusing with this lens. As I said it is the only G-series lens that I know of that used the screwdriver focusing system.

The D610 is not super-crtical about lenses used on it...making it a simply splendid FX camera for using with a wide variety of vintage glass.

The D610 also has an in-body focusing motor, which gives you automatic focusing with this lens. As I said it is the only G-series lens that I know of that used the screwdriver focusing system.

Hi Derrel,

It is always good to hear from you on these issues. I may go out tomorrow and do some bird watching.

I had one that I bought back in my 35mm days. I used it with my D7000 for a while until I got a refurb. 70-300 VR from Nikon cheap. It is a FX film lens but mine worked just fine and I don't the image quality on my newer VR version is any better. The VR comes in handy though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back