Nikon 70-300mm VR at the Zoo (56k No No)

PhilosophyAskew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The tests of my new lens continue at the zoo. So far I'm very impressed with the sharpness or it. Most of these were taken at 250mm and above and some even maxed at 300mm. If I had to do it over again I would still buy this lens. I had problems before with the auto focus but my camera settings were causing that. Today it worked perfectly for the most part and I don't even notice the VR at all. I would reccomend a shoulder harness rather than the normal camera strap because it gets heavy lugging it around the zoo for a few hours.

01543.jpg

01499.jpg

01493.jpg

01474.jpg

01447.jpg

01666.jpg

01591.jpg

01584.jpg

01568.jpg

01509.jpg

God i can't wait till i get this lense should be the end of next week.

Yeah, the anticipation killed me too. This lens is fairly new and there aren't many reviews for it yet. Ken Rockwell says it's not worth the money. He may be right for his type of photography but for outdoor animal shots and portraits you really can't go wrong. This is without a doubt the sharpest lens in my bag and the price tag ain't all that bad either. The VR is awesome. The pics in this set were all handheld and razor sharp. Wait to you feel how well it's made too. Not much "play" at all in this bad boy. VERY solid feel. I can't wait to use it again.

Yeah i read Ken Rockwall's review but i wanted to see pics like yours as i do alot of animal shots as well and just don't have a mega steady hand so wanted VR thinking it may help out in that regard. The price is very reasonable i was looking at the 18-200 but the price and being a 100mm shorter swayed me too the 300 i can't wait.

Beautiful pictures.
Is that eggret really missing half a wing?
And whats with that feather in #7?
BTW, what is the VR in the lense name? Is it vibration reduction?
Dani

great shots

Most reactions

Back