nikon 80-200 2.8 vs 70-200 2.8

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm looking to buy either one of these these lenses hopefully within the next month or so. relatively large price difference aside, what are the major differences between the two lenses? i know the 70-200 has an af motor where the 80-200 doesn't, but that isn't too big of a deal to me since i'll be using just for portaits.

i've read a fair amount of reviews on this lens but am curious to see what you guys have to say.

also, if any of you could post comparisons of the lenses shot wide open to compare the "bokeh" that would be appreciated.

I am just speaking from what i've read and seen, not actually used. So take this with a grain of salt. But, from what I can tell, the 80-200 and the NON IS version of the 70-200, same sharpness, or close enough to not tell the difference. Both top quality build. But other then that I cant say.

70-200's better in the center, 80-200's more uniform. If you're shooting film or full frame, the 80-200D is the sharper, and more consistent choice.

70-200's AF-S, 80-200's AF-D.

VR, "olde fashoned"

the 70-200VR can focus closer, with more accuracy, the 80-200 can sometimes have some trouble.

I chose the 80-200 because of price, and the 2 or 3 times during the year when I need faster AF, I rent the 70-200VR. a heck of alot cheaper to do it that way. Otherwise, i've found on my D700 the 80-200D not only handles better, but consistently gives me better results for static subjects such as portraits or landscapes.

well right now i'm shooting a d300, but i would like to upgrade to a d700 sometime this year or early next year possibly.

i have read that the 70-200 vignettes quite a bit on full frame and film? that wouldn't be a huge drawback but if it is more controlled on the 80-200 then that's even more reason to go with it and save close to a grand.

you make an interesting point about renting switch. assuming i got the 80-200, if i really felt the need to use the 70-200 i'm not all that far from quite a few rental shops

I have a D300 and the 80-200 AF-D. Previously I would have liked to have the 70-200 VR, but after using the 80-200 for a few months, I dont regret my choice. Considering you will be using this as a primary portrait lens, autofocus issues shouldn't be a problem. I have also found that while the AF is slow and not as reliable up close, it isn't a dealbreaker.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back