What's new

nikon and canon factories halt production

thierry

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
502
Reaction score
28
Location
Indiana, United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I Have read a few sources that has said Canon halted production in 8 or So factories and Nikon has suffered damage to major factories... :( not to mention the rest of the extreme devastation and the taunting nuclear disaster..
 
It's not surprising in the least bit. I just continue praying for Japan and hoping the situation settles soon. :(
 
Agree. The Japanese are great people. I've never seen a country struck with such a disaster and remain in So much order and hope
 
Who knows ? More info needed. Perhaps they may outsource help from other plants to assemble their products for a while. That is, if they have stockpiled components that aren't damaged.
 
Canon have also halted production (heck I think most of Japan is currently not producing - even if they weren't directly damages concern for relatives in the workforce and power supply problems - not least to mention massive import and export limitations) and Sigma as well. Far as I've seen Canon and Nikon have some damage to factories, but nothing considered critical - whilst they also reported a few injuries (I don't think any were life threatening, though this is only from their direct workforce).
Not heard much from Sigma at all save a report about some damage.


edit - considering how Japan has held onto its position as a leading manufacturing country of high quality products I expect all but the most seriously affect companies will simply wait out until Japan is able to resume production (maybe shifting plants within Japan itself, but not outsourcing). It would be all to easy for them to outsource and suddenly lose the home investment in manufacturing to other countries
 
I think the biggest loss to each company will be employees. Buildings can be fixed. Employees are not so easily replaced. Especially if they need some kind of technical training. I have read several blogs of people visiting the Nikon pro body plant in Sendai. Each body is assembled by a single employee. Takes about 80min each body. It would be hard for them to replace that person. And for the people that run the technical machines that require more training, even worse a situation. Several companies had factories in Sendai. At first I thought Japan was going to bounce back fairly quickly. But now with the nuke plants having major issues. I think they are going to be in a long fight to come back to some semblance of normal.

I have a lot more respect for them. If you compare the scenes from Japan to Katrina. It's light and day to how some of the people are reacting. They say its becuase their society as a whole is much older and more experienced (several thousand years vs couple hundred). I wish them the best.
 
Japan is a very unique society. It is grounded with social order and people are educated with the mind set of team work. Conversely, being different will be much more challenging in Japan than in the west. You won't find as many radically bright individuals like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, but they work together as one and are very persistent, yet humble.

The society is suffering from deterioration of the work force with the younger generation becoming less willing to pursue a career like their parents. Many of them rather live with temporary jobs, making just enough to live and enjoy life, which creates a void in the Japanese economic work force. I think a critical time like this will pull them together, put personal agendas aside and return to the teachings of their traditional values.

On another note, Yoko Ono was on Piers Morgan last night. Piers asked her about her opinion on the Japanese culture and how they handle crisis like this. For some reason she jumped into saying that now Japan will be the disneyland for architects to build their dream cityscape.... I thought that was a bit weird. May be she's left Japan for a bit too long. I don't really see her as a good representation of Japanese any ways.
 
Last edited:
On CNN they were saying that the canon factory is in a city south of Tokyo and is only being effected by the blackouts and no damage was done to their factories.
 
I wonder how this will effect product supply and introduction of new items. Do you think they are set up for long term problems like this?My heart goes out to them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom