Nikon/ Canon Announcements? What an anti climax!

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Don't mean to moan, I know Japan are going through hard times. But wow, I listened to all these internet know it all's saying about these amazing announcements that would be coming this month!

And instead all I see being announced is a bunch of bloody compact cameras.. Sorry to sound frustrated, but I won't be getting excited again! haha.

OH wait though the Nikon Mirrorless is on the way though??? OH joy! A camera that can't accept any of my lenses. I know the idea is to make it small small small. But I can't get excited about something that I won't be able to afford and buy. And I get the feeling a 2.7 crop sensor will potentially be a huge compromise. If Sony can place a 1.5 crop sensor in a NEX body, why on earth do Nikon need to be using such a tiny sensor for this new cam...

It's my fault though, I thought something exciting might happen due all these rumours being spread around. And I would just love to see where the new tech is being taken! ;)

Last edited:
Ahh the rumours are always best treated as pipe dreams - Canon and Nikon simply do not have leaks in their development cycle and where you do get them its normally only a day or two before the official info release date. As a result the rumours are nice, but really so unreliable that its not worth getting excited over. Once or twice they are right about upcoming releases or developments, but most of the time its pot luck.

Ahh the rumours are always best treated as pipe dreams - Canon and Nikon simply do not have leaks in their development cycle and where you do get them its normally only a day or two before the official info release date. As a result the rumours are nice, but really so unreliable that its not worth getting excited over. Once or twice they are right about upcoming releases or developments, but most of the time its pot luck.

Your advice has been taken on board Overread, I won't be making same mistake in a hurry! :thumbup:

I guess they were right in one respect, seeing as compact announcements have been made. I feel compacts are on the way out anyway tbh. I agree with some of the opinions, that mobile phone's will replace them. As compacts just don't offer a great deal of image quality for the money! They cram tons of megapixels onto tiny sensors using massive noise reduction programming.

Ahh but you're not a compact market customer ;)
DSLR users oft won't be caught using a compact, but more a bridge camera if they need a smaller lighter camera - and with the new mirrorless m4/3rds cameras hitting the market most likely they'll take the place as the DSLR users small light camera.

It's my fault though, I thought something exciting might happen due all these rumours being spread around. And I would just love to see where the new tech is being taken! ;)

It's not your fault. It take times to get used to it. So I assume you are new to this type of scene. :D

It's not your fault. It take times to get used to it. So I assume you are new to this type of scene. :D

Haha, well I guess I am obviously.

To be honest, the compact announcements was a bit like thinking I was going home to Emma Watson tonight, but in reality I was going home to some 30 stone woman! haha!

Is 24-70 f/2.8L IS here yet? They have been talking about it for years.

Is 24-70 f/2.8L IS here yet? They have been talking about it for years.

Well yeah, I mean it would seem it must be taking years to do 'anything' for these two companies. Apart from develop compacts by the sound of it! :)

You understand of course that the camera makers make most of their money from the P&S cameras, not the DSLR's and DSLR accessories.

Even then, in the DSLRs they make way more off of the entry-level DSLRs than they do from the Prosumer and Pro stuff, combined.

You understand of course that the camera makers make most of their money from the P&S cameras, not the DSLR's and DSLR accessories.

Even then, in the DSLRs they make way more off of the entry-level DSLRs than they do from the Prosumer and Pro stuff, combined.

Yes, you definitely have a good point there!

I suppose some people do buy Nikon compacts still? Even though they can't keep up with Canon or Panasonic. But it does stun me how many people have DSLR's though now, I mean I was at an event recently and there were old ladies walking around with Nikon D90's. This shows how accesible DSLR's have become and how many people have them now. I COULD not believe how many people had DSLR's there! And these people certainly were not pros in any respect. Which showed me it has become a bigger market than it ever was.

But in my mind, I guess I am looking at it differently. I see the DSLR flagships as a representation of what a camera maker can produce as a brand throughout the range. As a technology fanatic and a DSLR fanatic, I want to see DSLR's stay as the kingpin in photography. This is why I was excited to see what the leading brands could come up with.

I don't care (yet) about mirrorless. I'm still waiting for the D800 vs mkIII
Oh and the lenses, well i agreed if somehow 24-70 need the VR / IS

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back