Nikon D2x for studio and wedding shoots ?

Michaelcr01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey !

Im looking at investing some money into some new equipment, I was mainly looking at newer cameras (Nikon D7000 etc etc), But stumbled across the D2x second hand for £700 body only, Which got me thinking, After using a D3x a few weeks ago (was a good friends camera), I fell in love with the camera, I love large heavy camera bodies, And the functionality was amazing, Although i can't afford £4000 for one haha.

Would the nikon d2x be a good solid reliable choice for studio photography and wedding photography ? I'll be looking at spending the main bulk of the money on the glass of course, Something like a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G lens, And perhaps a few f/1.4 nikon primes.

Michael.

Would the nikon d2x be a good solid reliable choice for studio photography and wedding photography ?

Wedding photography.. Ugh, your going to need 3 bodies, flashes, extra lenses etc. Wedding photography isn't something you can jump into, if your lenses, camera or flash breaks your going to be liable.

The question you should really be asking is: Is the D2x better value for money than the D7000?

You don't absolutely need 3 bodies to to shoot a wedding. I agree it's not something you can just "jump in to" without prior experience. But I am still quite drunk, so my opinion may change after I sober up a bit.

You don't absolutely need 3 bodies to to shoot a wedding.

Fine do it with 2 and just have professional indemnity insurance..

Nope, it's not the alcohol. You're just ignorant. You (well, maybe not YOU specifically) can handle a wedding with two bodies, however insurance is never a bad thing.

You (well, maybe not YOU specifically) can handle a wedding with two bodies

I don't do weddings nor do I even do portraits, so your right I am ignorant. But from books I've read, its always good to have a back-up, your going to need 2 bodies so why not have a 3rd....

Weddings are low light situations, and the D2x only goes up to ISO 800. It is not uncommon for us to shoot weddings at ISO 1600 for the entire ceremony. In my opinion, if you have the money, spring for the D7000 as it will perform better in low light situations.

1000's of wedding has been shot with d2x's.......but there is so much more options out there with better iso performance. even a d90 would be better to shoot a wedding than a d2x

The D3 has a full frame image sensor, the D2x has a smaller APS-C size image sensor, so the 2 cameras are not really directly comparable.

The D3 has the more advanced Multi-CAM 3500, 51 focus point, auto focus module, the D2x has the Multi-CAM 2000 11 focus point, auto focus module, again not comparable.

The D2x would work just fine for studio or weddings, but it's a generation back from the D3.

The D3 revolutionized ISO performance for professional grade cameras. Don't expect a D2x to be as capable.

Weddings are low light situations, and the D2x only goes up to ISO 800. It is not uncommon for us to shoot weddings at ISO 1600 for the entire ceremony. In my opinion, if you have the money, spring for the D7000 as it will perform better in low light situations.

You're right. There's no way that the D2x which was Nikon's flagship camera for 5 years, and was used heavily by wedding photographers all over the world for many years more is suitable for weddings at all. It is much better to get a cheap plastic consumer DSLR to do the job.

Oh and the best professional indemnity insurance in the world.

The handling of the d2x is great, but it's image quality and iso peformance is far below the similarly priced D7000.

You're right. There's no way that the D2x which was Nikon's flagship camera for 5 years, and was used heavily by wedding photographers all over the world for many years more is suitable for weddings at all. It is much better to get a cheap plastic consumer DSLR to do the job.

Oh and the best professional indemnity insurance in the world.

Wedding photographers also shot with film for how many years?????.......Its not about if the camera is capable or not. New technology. Just cause you won a race with a car 5 years ago does not mean you should race it today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back