Nikon D300 1.03 Firmware Update

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I actually already have it downloaded, but I literally JUST had an experience where a computer crashed during a BIOS update rendering it unusable...

So I'm a little gunshy. :)

Yup, I just did it now. Somewhat annoying that the D300 doesn't act like a hard drive as my D100 did, so I had to pop the card in and out of the device a few times. (I do NOT like swapping compact flash cards... I have nightmares about pulled and bent pins)

Update went smoothly... the 14 bit raw is DEFINITELY faster... still not as fast as 12 bit by any means, but WAY faster.

Yeah I updated too. Im waiting to see if the battery issue is with my 80-400 or, if I had the false low battery problem. I di think VR lenses do drain the batteries more.

i don't normally shoot in 14bit, but with the firmware everyone is saying performance is increased - was the buffer updated? because it still clocks at 2.5fps.

i don't normally shoot in 14bit, but with the firmware everyone is saying performance is increased - was the buffer updated? because it still clocks at 2.5fps.

I haven't actually tried clocking it, but it is NOTICABLY faster. Some reports I've read online said about 2x.

I see no difference, still.. 2.5fps, same size buffer, and still takes a few seconds to clear the buffer after a 6-7 frame burst. this is with an extreme 4GB card.
I've never needed to use 14bit anyway. colours, tonal rendition and exposure haven't had any problems so far.

Maybe your card is slower than mine or something... though I don't see how that would impact the sensor->buffer speed.

I just did this update, I waited a few days to see if there was "drama".

I had suffered the dreaded DBS (Dead Battery Syndrome) several times, it was quite annoying.

Most reactions

Back