NIKON D300

i have some knowledge of photography like I said i have had several slr cameras and several digital point and shoot cameras.It is just this camera can do so man things that none of he others could do.I originally ordered the d200 and it arrived in sept..I had been doing some reading on the d300 and was willing to spend the extra to have live view,up to 8fps,the 51 point focus...etc..I have had the camera for 1 week and have taken several pictures.The camera takes great action shots and still photos.I have enjoyed getting back into photography and I think this time it is going to be a hobbie that will keep my attention.

Marshall

you sound like my brother who has no knowledge of photography whatsoever and has never had an interest in pics who just bought a D40.
Money to burn.

I have to quote two things here. D40 is alot diffrent the D300. D40 is average price of good p&s so thats not money being burned, its a step forward.

And 2.. yes cameras take the picture, but you have to know what to look for, how to set the camera, and how to properly produce the image. its 90% human, 10% technology.

ive seen amazing pictures with **** cameras and glass. of course... alot of times you need good glass to have a good picture.

Even the same deal with pinhole photography. Its just a box and a hole. amazing images have been produced.

As far as d300 for your FIRST camera..WOW and REDICULOUS. a D40, or even pushing it d80 woulda been more>.>>MORE then enough. then you would have has some extra cash for lenses and other accesories more important then a 51 Point AF camera.

I had been doing some reading on the d300 and was willing to spend the extra to have live view,up to 8fps,the 51 point focus...etc..I have had the camera for 1 week and have taken several pictures.

So you also purchased the new battery/grip and 2 higher end batteries so that you could do that 8 FPS? If not, I believe your camera cannot do 8 FPS.

1 week... several pics? My first day with the D200 resulted in 500 pics and I average about oh... ~ 1200 a month or so at the very least (~6 months and around 7000 shutter activations). Not bad for someone that is not a pro... lol.

Digital photography's biggest advantage, IMHO. Let's see the costs of someone newbie like me do that with film and still do it without needing to work 80 hours a week in two jobs... lol

Now that we have stopped yelling.. Awesome camera! Congrats on the purchase, I hope it brings you much joy.

And welcome to the forum.

i think that many of you are jealous. if someone has the money, and wishes to spend it on an expensive camera and develop their passion, then let them. sheesh.

1 week... several pics? My first day with the D200 resulted in 500 pics and I average about oh... ~ 1200 a month or so at the very least (~6 months and around 7000 shutter activations). Not bad for someone that is not a pro... lol.

What does that even matter? 500 shots on your first day.... great were they any good? By just shooting away without regard all your doing is bringing your camera one step closer to death. Shoot with a purpose a shutter does not last forever.

This person is obviously excited about the new camera dont get down on him because he may or may not know as much as you. Also like others have said if someone has the money to buy the best why not. If I was a millionair and knew nothing about photography I would buy the best camera I could and then figure it out.

Congrats on your new camera.

Now, make sure you have some good glass on it and post some pictures here at insanely high ISO's for us to drool over. I'm thinking D300 next year for myself.

What does that even matter?

I think you and perhaps a few others missed the joviality of my post... hence the "LOL".

It is a nice camera, I meant no disrespect, so lets not go there, ok?

Congrats on the 300! Anyone going from film to digital has a steep learning curve, no matter the camera. Good luck, and there are plenty us us here to help you along if you need it.

Thanks for all the positive replys and even the negative,we all have our own opinions and I am proud that we are able to speak it.I bought a camera I thought I could grow with.Many other cameras would have suited me but why upgrade when I get better.This camera will better suit me for some time.This camera is a far cry from top of the line but it is a great (consumer -pro) camera.I purchased the camera.sb800 flash,nikon ml-3 wireless remote,mb-d10battery pack with rechargeable en-el3e batteries,an 8gb 300x cf card and so far just the one lens a nikon 18-135.I am an avid outdoorsman so I plan on taking alot of wildlife photographs so with the help from all my friends here what should my next 2 lenses be,I also plan on taking alot of family photos.

Thanks Again
Marshall

marshall, you are correct on you want to start off good for when your knowledge grows, itll grow with your camera skills as well, but i might point out that they come out with new cameras every 16 + months. what might be amazing and top of the line.. the beeze knees today, will be old school tomorrow. and youll wanna upgrade to keep up with the industrie.

the way i see it, photographers, and even hobbiests will sell/trade or buy a new camera and use there old one as a second/backup about every 4 years.

Thats not controdicting your statement by any means.. im just pointing that out to keep into consideration.

The D300 will teach you a lot and you will love it I'm sure. I am of the opinion that to chase every new model is a waste of time and money. Most Canon shooters will tell you that as they bring out new models, the feature set of the newest, latest and greatest may or may not be all that earth shattering. For example, if you own a 10D, the 40D is a big upgrade, but the 30D shooter might not see all that much of an advantage in the 40D upgrade. Nikon does not come out with new models every other month, so upgrades seem to be farther apart and a bigger jump in capabilities. Nikon has been very good at supporting existing bodies though. After the D1X was out about a year, they had an upgrade for it's buffer. With the associated firmware upgrade, it was a new, better camera without replacing the investment already spent. It is my opinion that with Nikon at least, upgrading every generation my be a little too soon. My D1X's are now 2 generations old, so the D3 looked like a more realistic upgrade than the D2X did a couple of years ago. With the higher end D#00 and D# cameras at least, 4-5 years is a good life expectancy in my mind.

well I have been spending alot of time using the new camera and imo I have some very nice shots.But when I try to print these to 8x10 the borderless printing option does not seem to work.I am using Photoshop Elements 6.0 for windows vista.

THANKS
Marshall

1 - calibrate your monitor

2 - Use CaptureNX or Photoshop CS3.

Using Elements with a D300 is kinda in the same class as slapping on a $125 kit lens on the D300... its not going to get you anywhere near the quality of output that your camera can generate.

Most reactions

Back