Nikon D300?!

david3558

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I plan on getting a Nikon D300, but what sort of lens should I get? I currently have a Sigma 18-200mm DC HSM on a Nikon D40x.

I would like a lens that isn't too expensive (the D300 took my forever to save up for...) but can do a wide variety of shots.

Any suggestions?

Here we go again, I have to tell you if you are buying a D300 and can't afford a decent lens to match it you are soing yourself a serious disservice. I would say the minimun lens you should buy for this camera is a 50mm 1.8 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html and whatever you do keep tha Sigma 18-200 FAR away from that body. Honestly the best thing for you to do is buy a D80 and some fast glass as that is the best investment.

David, what ever your Sigma may have I promise your new Nikon will not catch it. :lol:

The 50mm f/1.8 is a fine lens as is the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S (around $200 used +/-). I would suggest the 18-70mm and call it good for now. This lens will take you quite a way and by the time you get to the end of it's capabilities, you should know just what you want next.

If he's going to get a 50mm standard, I'd say shell out the extra $200 for the f1.4

I've used both the f1.4 and the f1.8, they're both good lenses, but for me, the 1.4 won, hands down.

Here we go again, I have to tell you if you are buying a D300 and can't afford a decent lens to match it you are soing yourself a serious disservice. Honestly the best thing for you to do is buy a D80 and some fast glass as that is the best investment.

He is absolutely correct. Virtually all of the improvement you expect going from a D40 to a D300 will be lost if you put a bad lens on it.
You would be much better off buying a used D200 and spend money on better lenses.

I have a D200 and rather than upgrade the body, I just bought 24-70 and a 70-200 VR. THe difference good lenses will make is phenomenal.

I am willing to shell out a little bit extra for a good lens. But I don't know which one to get still. I will be picking up a Nikkor 50mm (either 1.4 or 1.8) but I want another lens that is a good all-around lens. Lastly, where is the best place to find used lenses?

To be precise the lens I currently have is the Sigma DC 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 HSM. Will this be a terrible lens on my D300?

Haha...well my budget would be probably around 5-600 at this point.

I went from a D80 to a D300 and only had my kit 18-135mm lens and really saw no difference in what I was doing until I got a 14-24mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 50mm f/1.4. That's not to say you shouldn't get the D300, but lenses really, really are important. Seriously. But, it's ultimately up to you.

Look into the 18-70 that Mike E mentioned. A buddy has one with his D300 and he won't give it up. That, and a 50 1.8 would be a great starter.

Then save your extra $300 and build it up so you can buy a nice f/2.8 zoom.

Ok thanks for the suggestion. I will look into other lenses for sure. I've used a 50mm 1.4 before, but I don't know what the difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 would be.

Also I am willing to buy any "good" third-party lenses out there. Thanks for all the help you guys.

Most reactions

Back