Nikon D4 replacement camera

DorkSterr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using the D4 for two years now and am coming to a conclusion that it isn't an ideal camera for me for traveling. I'm the type to travel light only carrying two lens max an ultra wide + mid range zoom. I got the D4 because of its build quality, ISO performance/low light capabilities and amazing auto focus under the worst circumstances.

I am trying to replace my D4 with a smaller body like the Sony RX, Fuji X series and others like it with comparable specs in ISO performance/low light auto focus, FPS (not that important), build quality. What would you guys recommend, I can go up to $3000 USD but would prefer not too, also it would be a plus if it were full frame if that's not asking too much.

Thank you
Nikko

You'd get the iso performance from a Sony a7s, without the af. You'd get the af with a d750 without the build.

From specs alone you have royalty. Everything else will compromise somehow

If there was a smaller and cheaper camera that was capable of doing what the D4 can do, we would all own one.
That said, if you're already invested in Nikon lenses, then I would suggest another Nikon (perhaps a D610?) or a Sony A7.
The Sony A7 series will accept your Nikon lenses (with an adapter) and will allow you to keep autofocus, aperture control, etc.
The Sony a7 mirrorless cameras were really designed to accept lenses from other manufactuers (Nikon/Canon) without any quality loss.
They are also full frame.

Of course, this also depends on what you want to do with this 2nd camera. Are you looking to do portraits? Landscape? Events/Weddings?

I would probably look at the nikon D750 if you have that kind of budget, looks like that thing is amazing in low light even with really high ISO I saw some photos taken and a crazy high ISO in extremely low light and they photos came out great.

I also hear the auto focus system on that is amazing compared to the D810 and below I guess the 750 had the best auto focus system out of all of them and I think the low light capability are said to be better as well.. not sure how it compares to the D4 for those things though.

not sure how it compares to something like your D4 but the D750 is probably something you should look into if low light, full frame and the auto foucs system are what is important to you.

I have FF Canons (1Ds) ... I have migrated to Fuji and now the only time I touch my FF cameras is to slide some paper under it to keep the paper from blowing around the room.

I love the Fuji XTrans sensor. I love the Fujinon lenses. Once you start shooting Fuji you'll use you Nikons less and less.

Gary

Another vote for the D750, its actually not too heavy and has amazing low light performance.
I love my D750, I am still learning my new D750 but so far I have only good things to say about it.

If you want good lighting performance you got to get full frame and I think for the price the D750 gives you best bang for the buck!

Are you getting rid of the D4 or just getting something to compliment it? If you're looking for a small, light camera, the a lot of the weight comes from the lenses and not the body.

I'd at least look in to a mirrorless system. You could get a fuji x-e2 or x-t1 the 18-55 zoom and a 56 1.2 for a little over $2,000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back