Nikon d40/d60

Griffpot92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,Im new on here and am going to buy a camera real soon.
Im thinking either the d40 or d60 because of its amazing reputation and price.Iv got about 350 euro which seems about right.Id love to hear any ther suggestions or help on set ups etc.Thanks

Hi guys,Im new on here and am going to buy a camera real soon.
Im thinking either the d40 or d60 because of its amazing reputation and price.Iv got about 350 euro which seems about right.Id love to hear any ther suggestions or help on set ups etc.Thanks
The D60 is superior image quality wise to the D40 because of the almost 60% more mega pixels. An advantage the D40 has is flash sync speed.

You can get an improved auto focusing module and more focus points if you get a D3000 rather than either of those 2.

Agreed, the D60 is preferable over the D40 and, for that matter, the D40x. Also, check out the price on their new replacement, the D3000. But, when it comes down to it, they're all good.

Brief differences in major feature differences:

D40: first of the line, 6mp

D40x: a D40 upgraded with the new 10mp sensor from the D80 & D200

D60: a D40x upgraded with a sensor dust reduction system and an noticably improved kit lens (adds VR, vibration reduction), at least in the standard Nikon bundle. Bundled "kit" lenses vary with dealers so read the description of what you are buying very, very carefully.

D3000: a D60 upgraded with a significantly improved AF system shared with the D5000 and uses essentially the same AF sensor system and logic as the D90.

There are other less important improvements with each model increment, but they don't impact the picture quality (e.g LCD size and resolution, menu improvements, ...).

D40 will offer you cleaner high ISO performance though. I personally would rather have the D40. The only thing I don't like about the D40/D60 is the 3 AF points (both have CAM530). That is tolerable though.

haha.. anywayz i just bought my nikon d40 not too long ago .. im a beginner at photography getting better used auto mode for like a week or longer but tryed manual at the same time ..i say theyre both good cameras .. its up 2 u really if u want more pixels go for the d60 if ur just a beginner do wat i did.. i say d60 since it has more new featuers u might like the d60 more.. hope this helps.. oh and im getting better so im getting lenses acc etc later on when i get better

I would say get the D60 for more features and mp. Feel free to check my Flickr for any convincing, or not. haha. I have a Nikon D60.

i like the d60 menu better than the d40 :scratch:
(was holding one earlier today cause i forgot mine :( )

yeah .. that shi↑ doesnt help

I love my D60, out of those options, its the better buy. For the money and the quality. Plus its frame can support some heavier lenses more than the D40's body, so it's a smarter buy.

D40 will offer you cleaner high ISO performance though
Interesting!

How about a link or 2 to support that claim.

All my research indicated the ISO performance between the 2 is virtually identical.

D40 will offer you cleaner high ISO performance though
Interesting!

How about a link or 2 to support that claim.

All my research indicated the ISO performance between the 2 is virtually identical.

yeah both suck at high ISO. :lol:

at least the noise i get out of my d40 is unacceptable over 400.
for me anyway.

They are no longer making the d40 & d60 as they have been upgraded and replaced with the D300 & D5000 respectively. This may not be the case in Ireland though.

The D5000 shares it's image sensor with the D90. The low light performance is much better than the D3000 (which has the same image sensor as the D60(i think))

i think something you should look into is high iso performance... the ammount of noise my d60 generates at anything over iso400 or even at 400 is horrible... D: maybe the d3000 will have better high iso performance? and if it shares the same AF system as the D90, then it's worth a look. i don't know a lot about the d3000, but from what i hear, it's a worthy replacement for the d60.

i have D3000 and from 100 to 800(ISO) perfect no problem here, but if you going higher then yea you can see noise. that the only problem with D3000. il say go for D3000

Most reactions

Back