nikon d40 gear =)

Lorielle99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
do they make underwater housing units for the nikon d40? if so how much do the run for?

i have an 18mm 55mm standard kit lense, what do you think i should invest in next?

should i buy a flash?

thanksssss =)

I would get the nifty 50, and a longer zoom myself...

They make underwater enclosures for almost all cameras...but they run close to or more than 1000 dollars.

If you do a lot of flash work, I would get either a SB-800 or SB-600. Both can be controlled off camera by the D40.

I would get the nifty 50, and a longer zoom myself...

They make underwater enclosures for almost all cameras...but they run close to or more than 1000 dollars.

thats nuts. better start saving my pennies. what exacttly do you mean by flashwork? and dont say when you work with a flash.

If you do a lot of flash work, I would get either a SB-800 or SB-600. Both can be controlled off camera by the D40.

Well with the D40 you will have to buy some sync equipment, you can't control it like with the D80 or D200. You will have to buy a hot shoe pc terminal adapter and if you get the SB-600 flash I don't think it has a pc terminal so you will have to buy a hot shoe pc adapter for the the flash then buy the cable. Well this is one way you can do it, you can go wireless but my point is you will need to buy some extra things to get the flash off camera with the D40. Where as the D80 it works wireless without buying more stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but if so then can some tell me how they do it, because I own the SB-600 and the D40.

Strobist Info

In Philosopher Meditating, (c. 1631, oil on wood) Rembrandt used an SB-24, at full power with a full CTO gel a large diffuser silk just outside of the window at left.

At right, just out of frame behind the fire, is an SB-26 on 1/16 power with a LumiQuest Ultrabounce and a full CTO gel. Exposure was 1/8th of a sec at 5.6, ISO 400, to pick up the ambient light at the top of the stairs.

The SB-24 was triggered with a Pocket Wizard, the SB-26 by its built-in slave.

:lmao:

the shoe is the slot above the onboard flash, where u can slide the aftermarket flash onto

u seem to be into portraits so the 100 dollar 50mm lens would be cool, im not sure if its D40 capable

if your a beginner some books on photography wouldnt be bad, i have 5 or 6 myself.

the shoe is the slot above the onboard flash, where u can slide the aftermarket flash onto

u seem to be into portraits so the 100 dollar 50mm lens would be cool, im not sure if its D40 capable

The 50mm 1.8 that runs around $100 will not autofocus on a D40, but you can manually focus the lens.

The D40 does not have a "commander" mode to control the Nikon flash system, like the D80 and above do, however you can do this manually using strobist techniques... if you want to use manual metering and cheap flashes (very cool stuff, by the way, but not nearly as easy to do as using the Nikon iTTL flash system).

If you want to go iTTL (where the camera meters everything) you can buy a Nikon command module for the D40, but it runs $250, so if you were going to do that you would be better off to just sell the D40 and put the money you got from it and the $250 towards the much more capable D80, which has built in commander mode.

Most reactions

Back